• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Facebook “like†vs Google “PageRank†in terms of Internet Marketing

Anirban

Desk Monkey
Nov 12, 2010
First Name
Anirban
In world of internet marketing there is big question that which one will be bigger for online marketing Facebook “like” or so called traditional Google PageRank?Now a days Facebook “like” is becoming a huge part of discussion weather its a new parameter for measuring a web page value rather than the Google PageRank.
What is Facebook “Like”?The Like button lets a user share your content with friends on Facebook. When the user clicks the Like button on your site, a story appears in the user’s friends’ News Feed with a link back to your website-Says Facebook Developers.
PageRank, a technology that determined the “importance” of a webpage by looking at what other pages link to it, as well as other data. Today we use more than 200 signals, including PageRank, to order websites, and we update these algorithms on a weekly basis. For example, we offer personalized search results based on your web history and location.by Google . Where PageRank plays authentication role for measuring a web page quality.But now a days scenario is little different, where people love to read those pages or those articles or topics where most people voted or recommended by the other reader.The common reason is most users dont know what is Google PageRank but they know the Facebook like button, where they can participate to Judge the quality of webpage or contents so their is opportunity to show their opinion in front of world and visualize others experience .I think which is great feature to analyze or judge in a more practical way…which is working like practical review.
In terms Google PageRank algorithm there is obstruction its fixed by the Google, where you cant express your view on that.Yes too some extent Google PageRank algorithm supports on page views, time spending, comments,unique visitors such parameters, but all the criteria is fixed by the Google,important thing is most of the people are not aware about the PageRank.
SEO facts:In terms Google optimization PageRank is still is a winner,though Google is counting social networks signals.But for Bing and Yahoo you should aware about the fact they are counting Facebook “like” page links for their SERP algorithm.You can find some interesting points on that topic on webpronews.
And web page looks and content is vital keyrole to maximum “likes.”
http://zebratechies.com/

I believe that the search engines are modifying their algorithms to take into account social networking sites and their "like" buttons which link back to other websites. It only makes sense with the objective of each search engine provider - their goal is to provide the most relevant result. The "like" button is a great tool to identify a "recommendation" from others that this is a great site, similar (and in my opinion better) than the traditional back-link from another site. We have already been working on and implementing strategies to build up "likes" to our key website pages in response... This will be a big issue in the upcoming year.

I believe that the search engines are modifying their algorithms to take into account social networking sites and their "like" buttons which link back to other websites. It only makes sense with the objective of each search engine provider - their goal is to provide the most relevant result. The "like" button is a great tool to identify a "recommendation" from others that this is a great site, similar (and in my opinion better) than the traditional back-link from another site. We have already been working on and implementing strategies to build up "likes" to our key website pages in response... This will be a big issue in the upcoming year.

Im not sure if these algorithms can take sites like Facebook and Twitter in to account because of their "No FOllow" tags used in all posts... I may be wrong though.

I have seen some articles stating that Bing is using facebook likes to give certain priorities, but many of those articles were from February/March of 2010. I haven't found much since then which makes me believe this might have been short lived.

I agree that it makes sense for a search engine to give some extra relevance based on social media exposure though. Why do I also get the feeling this topic already has a thread on DealerRefresh too :thinker:

Im not sure if these algorithms can take sites like Facebook and Twitter in to account because of their "No FOllow" tags used in all posts... I may be wrong though.
Regal for a information Google and Bing both has informed they are counting social networks signal...
ON a interview with Danny and Google CEO Eric Schmidt, where Eric admits they Google is counting social signals as a links for there SERP algorithm, though those Twitter and Facebook links are no-follow but among 200 signals for Google SERP algorithm, social signals one of the strong base.

http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f43/...orks-rather-than-website-links-serp-1366.html

I think this is some of the same discussion. Anirban - are you just here for your own SEO gain?
@alex, if you read theses two threads you can find some similarities but this discussion just stated difference between a Facebook "like" and Google PageRank...The topic is induced while Google and Bing officially announced they are looking at the social signals.....now if you have a complain with my posting let me know..I will stop posting!thanks!

Last edited: