• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Facebook Business page reach

JesseJ

Boss
Mar 22, 2011
First Name
Jesse
This is far from an emergency but I just noticed that our Facebook business page is showing an extremely low number of "views" per post compared to the number of people who actually like our page. A typical post now tops out at around 150 views despite having 2000+ followers. I'm guessing this has something to do with the "Boost" feature.

Also, if you're being too spammy or "salesy" in your posts...people can hide your posts and will probably never see anything from you again. Facebook also has some type of algorithm for how it decides what to show in users' newsfeed.

I figured that much. I just would be surprised if 1800 of our 2000 likes hid our posts.

Jesse, it is not that they have hidden your Page or your posts, they are not seeing your posts at all. There has been a lot of articles written lately that have the number of fans seeing a Pages post somewhere in the 5%-7% range. It is there way of forcing your hand to buy ads for more reach.

Facebook Organic Reach Plummeting | Social Media Today

Jesse, I've personally run about 200 FB promotions and post on FB regularly on behalf of clients. Engagement rates - the people who actually see a business page's posts, are a function of FB's algorithm. Sales-y posts get very little traction; it probably has something to do with the actual words in the ad or maybe it's how the image is titled, or maybe it's organic and peeps just pass on overt sales pitches. I can post about a sale and will get single digit engagement, the next day, I can post about a sport playoff game and get about 10'x the engagement. You and I try to avoid getting pitched, so does everyone else, I think.

Facebook is pretty much a pay to play site now. It's happening slowly but some brands have decided to exit Facebook entirely. I don't agree with that approach as the audience is still so large it's worth sticking around. One thing you'll need to do is make sure that your ROI still makes sense. Remember you're investing in both content and advertising. Do you have a way to measure your social ROI?

P.S. Stay far far away from the "Boost" post feature. The targeting on those is worldwide by default and you can't change it. You're much better off making your own ad.

Hi Jesse,

I'm sure I'm not the only 'Refresher who feels your pain.

Organic reach on Business Page Facebook Posts has trickled down to single digit numbers.

Most experts in this field are predicting that organic FB reach will dwindle to near 0-2% levels in the coming months, literally forcing business owners to pay if they want their content to be seen by the masses.

Gigaom has a nice article covering the details of this. Definitely worth checking out.

So does that mean you should "boost" every single update? Absolutely not.

Let's face it, we're not always posting golden content on Facebook. Like a baseball player, we miss our audience more often than we get a hit. So let's look in to mirror before we start blaming ever-changing algorithms.

Personally, I won't boost a post unless it already has some organic engagement. 7-10 likes and a comment or two signal to me that this piece of content is hitting the mark, so it's worth boosting if there's a good reason for it.

What I don't recommend doing is propping up a poor performing post with boosted engagement. If you publish something and after an hour you don't have any engagement, chalk it up to a learning experience, but don't spend any money on it.

But fear not, organic engagement isn't dead just yet. You can still get fantastic organic engagement if you post targeted, relevant content to your audience.

For example, take this picture I posted last month for on the FB Page of LaFontaine Cadillac Buick GMC (2,288 page likes)

LaFontaine-Cadillac-Buick-GMC-Dealer-of-the-Year-FB-Post.jpg

The post reached 4,600+ people organically - twice the audience of the FB page itself.

A few factors that helped out this post was that I tagged everybody who was in that pic that I was FB friends with. Also, because it was a proud moment, the employees themselves were more engaged with the content than usual.

With that foundation, each like, comment and share built the momentum for this piece of content naturally. After it had over 150+ likes, I threw a few dollars behind it to help spread the word, but you'll notice that I only reached an extra 1,000 people.

Going forward with Social Media in general and Facebook specifically if you want your posts to be seen organically, it's imperative to remember that you're creating content for real people with real needs, wants, problems and desires.

Figure out what they want to see, and you'll still get your fair share of organic engagement.

Reactions: 1 person
Quick Question Jesse- How often do you ask your Facebook followers to take action? Sometimes just by asking people to ""Like" or "Share" really helps with the reach. A post (with an attractive photo) that requires action such as "Like if you are Happy its Friday" vs a Post that just says "Yay its Friday" with the same picture tends to be have more successful activity. Please note that you need to use this technique sparingly and not every post. Good Luck!

When you boost a post you can edit to narrow your target audience geographically.

Yes, Karen is correct. You have to click on the gear icon and select "Advanced Options". They used to be non-targetable. I stopped using the "Boost Post" feature a while ago and would set up Boost like campaigns directly from the Power Editor. It appears FB now allows for greater targeting if you decide to dig.