• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Facebook Paper

Haven't used it but when I saw the release, the first thing I thought about was the name. Paper is already a well known art/drawing app by 53. I think there may be a little tussle over the name and the confusion it brings. 53 already posted their thoughts:

Paper vs Paper

There’s a simple fix here. We think Facebook can apply the same degree of thought they put into the app into building a brand name of their own. An app about stories shouldn’t start with someone else’s story. Facebook should stop using our brand name.

On a personal level we have many ties to Facebook. Many friends, former students and colleagues are doing good work at Facebook. One of Facebook’s board members is an investor in FiftyThree. We’re a Facebook developer, and Paper supports sharing to Facebook where close to 500,000 original pages have been shared. Connections run deep.

What will Facebook’s story be? Will they be the corporate giant who bullies their developers? Or be agile, recognize a mistake, and fix it? Is it “Move fast and break things” or “Move fast and make things”?

Zing!

They say when one copies, it the best form of flattery. Try telling that to 53 right now. But then again, I wonder if 53 Paper is experiencing a spike in downloads over the last few days. I bet so.

I've been messing with Paper since it's release. I would agree that it's gesture hell. I'm not hooked on it yet. It's missing a lot of features IMO.

They say when one copies, it the best form of flattery. Try telling that to 53 right now. But then again, I wonder if 53 Paper is experiencing a spike in downloads over the last few days. I bet so.

I think you're probably right. And to add to the confusion, it was revealed late yesterday that 53's Paper wasn't even the first "Paper" in the app store. So 53's complaint about the name rings a little more hollow now.