• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Fire the Used Car Manager?

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
There seems to be a trend out there in this swiftly shifting market. "I'm going to fire <insert used car manager name> because he bought too many cars too high" is something I've heard from multiple dealers over the last two months. Or I've heard that person was already fired.

Is anyone else hearing this... or doing this?

Alex, no one has replied, they all got fired/quit already and became wholesalers working 3 hours a day flipping 3 cars for $1,000, then playing golf or taking the bass boat out in the afternoon.
Any good dealer/GM works hand in hand with the pre-owned manager and watches their inventory closely as its their most costly depreciating asset. If the used car manager is screwing up, then the GM/Dealer is not paying attention to their investments. I've gotten caught in that before, not afraid to admit it. Right now when I look at Profit Time its telling us to lower prices on some vehicles $200, $00, some $700 a day. I have some aged stuff that are <$5,000> losers at retial but we're going to take any deal we can to gain a customer, doc, F&I, get a trade maybe, recon it and sell it. With the 3 year index sliding like it is GM's & Dealers should have been directing UCM's at week 29 or 30 to start unloading the junk at the first customer that breathed on it. And any great UCM would have been paying attention. Buy at the front door, not the auction block! Stop the greed selling over MSRP on new, sell the new at what ever price if there is a great trade with potenital good gross versus buying at the auction. The people saying they are going to fire the UCM should be looking in the mirror and asking: "what could I have done to have helped them better, and help my operation".
By the way, no bikini's on Chic's today, pouring rain down here!

Attachments

• 3yearindex.png
    3yearindex.png
    53 KB · Views: 8
Alex, no one has replied, they all got fired/quit already and became wholesalers working 3 hours a day flipping 3 cars for $1,000, then playing golf or taking the bass boat out in the afternoon.
Any good dealer/GM works hand in hand with the pre-owned manager and watches their inventory closely as its their most costly depreciating asset. If the used car manager is screwing up, then the GM/Dealer is not paying attention to their investments. I've gotten caught in that before, not afraid to admit it. Right now when I look at Profit Time its telling us to lower prices on some vehicles $200, $00, some $700 a day. I have some aged stuff that are <$5,000> losers at retial but we're going to take any deal we can to gain a customer, doc, F&I, get a trade maybe, recon it and sell it. With the 3 year index sliding like it is GM's & Dealers should have been directing UCM's at week 29 or 30 to start unloading the junk at the first customer that breathed on it. And any great UCM would have been paying attention. Buy at the front door, not the auction block! Stop the greed selling over MSRP on new, sell the new at what ever price if there is a great trade with potenital good gross versus buying at the auction. The people saying they are going to fire the UCM should be looking in the mirror and asking: "what could I have done to have helped them better, and help my operation".
By the way, no bikini's on Chic's today, pouring rain down here!
What is Profit Time? I assume some type of inventory management system.