• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Fixed Ops Websites

I am looking for some good examples of fixed ops websites. I snagged a really good url, but have to have something to really build around it. If anyone has some great examples, please let me know.

It may not be an answer to your question, especially because these are probably much easier websites, but two of my favorite websites to navigate / find parts and accessories are actually motorcycle related.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com
Motorcycle Seats - Mustang

Not sure how deep I want to get with it. We bought a stellar url and unsure how to really capitalize on it. Possibly some plug-ins and links to our xTime scheduler. No chat on this one. Just looking for something to start from.

Not sure how deep I want to get with it. We bought a stellar url and unsure how to really capitalize on it. Possibly some plug-ins and links to our xTime scheduler. No chat on this one. Just looking for something to start from.

Given that context, I would personally stagger the approach:

1. Start with content. Write content and create a website around the idea of, "You need that part? We can get it". This avoids the need for parts photos, constant updates, inventory, etc and all the headaches involved with that.

2. While you have the content and the site gaining traction, start working on finding/building a parts inventory system that can handle all your parts, allows photos to be attached, etc. Try and contact parts providers and see if they have parts photos or an API for accessing these parts photos, model numbers, descriptions and vehicle relevance.

In my opinion, a good fixed ops website needs to be able to tell me what parts fit my car and needs to have a photo of the part. Worst case scenario, this site shows the part number and the barcode when they don't have a photo:
2001 Honda SHADOW DELUXE - VT750CD OEM Cover, Air Cleaner 17231-MBA-010 | MotoSport Canada

Just my two cents, but it sounds like a fun project and the kind of thing that has been on my "Backburner" list of things to do for a long time. I'm really curious to see how it works out and what level of support manufacturers can offer.

EDIT: If you do end up going the route of custom development for this project, as a bonus you should have them build it driven around an API so that you can then tie your parts site into your dealership site and kill two birds with one stone.