• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Ford takes control of your vehicle IF your payment is late.

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
Anyone happen to see this latest news out of Ford?

What’s that aggravating beeping in your car? You might have missed a payment.

Ford files a patent to control your vehicle remotely if you miss a car payment.

"The use of technology to aid repossessions isn’t new, but the patent application is wide-ranging, even proposing the idea that an autonomous vehicle could drive itself to a “more convenient” location to be collected by a tow truck."

"According to the Ford patent application for repossession-linked technology, cruise control and automated windows could be disabled if a consumer doesn’t acknowledge a notice of an overdue car payment. Ford could also shut down key fobs, door locks — even the accelerator or the engine itself."

I love technology. I hate technology. Not that I've ever been late on a car payment BUT if they have this type of control over a late payment, what other reasons could they eventually tie into it?

There have been BHPH dealers using tech to disable vehicles if the customer is late on payments for over 2 decades now. I actually did a bit of business with the guy who first applied this to his BHPH fleet and his repo rate plummeted. Seems that people will make the car payment a higher priority if there is some sort of repercussion attached to non payment...

Thank you for sharing this information. Now I'm interested if this works with Ford trucks too? And what if I buy the truck from the dealerships that are selling not only Ford trucks, but also Kenworth or Freightliner? What do you think?

EDIT: removed SEO :spam:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone happen to see this latest news out of Ford?

What’s that aggravating beeping in your car? You might have missed a payment.

Ford files a patent to control your vehicle remotely if you miss a car payment.

"The use of technology to aid repossessions isn’t new, but the patent application is wide-ranging, even proposing the idea that an autonomous vehicle could drive itself to a “more convenient” location to be collected by a tow truck."

"According to the Ford patent application for repossession-linked technology, cruise control and automated windows could be disabled if a consumer doesn’t acknowledge a notice of an overdue car payment. Ford could also shut down key fobs, door locks — even the accelerator or the engine itself."

I love technology. I hate technology. Not that I've ever been late on a car payment BUT if they have this type of control over a late payment, what other reasons could they eventually tie into it?

So many things I can say here, but I'll just say this... "We don't like the post (insert any infraction you choose here) you made on SM, so your vehicle will conveniently, automatically drive you to the nearest repo center for pick up. Then, once you complete the mandatory re-ed training provided free of charge, your vehicle will be returned to you on a probational period - until you prove yourself worthy again." This also works for all electric, autonomous vehicles coming in the near future. :cool: