• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

General Sales Manager Compensation

BeepTown

Green Pea
Jul 4, 2013
First Name
Dustin
For one, not sure where to put this question, it all seems to be geared towards online marketing. Which is fine, that is what originally brought me to the site a few months ago. Regardless, if anyone has ideas to shoot my way, I would be very appreciative.

It should be noted that this is currently a 20 car a month lot, in a prime location, with zero (absolute zero) curb advertising currently. Since starting I have moved the sales to an average of 30 cars a month in just 2 months. This is a 1 man show currently, that means I do everything. Web Design, Marketing, Inventory, Finance, Sales. Pricing etc. I do not purchase the cars, nor do I handle the service side of the business. This may change as we grow, but I have a full plate as is.

Here is the question, my pay plan. It's a unique position, it's a demanding position, but I love it, and the Owner and I have a great working relationship. While I want to be paid fairly for my time and effort, I also want to allow the dealership to grow. Anyone have experience with small lots? We carry 50 cars on the lot, offer BHPH but rarely utilize it, as I am constantly adding banks to work with. My initial thoughts are 20% of every sale both front and back.

Any thoughts for or against that? Currently it would average out to be between 6,000-8000 per month. Obviously higher as we grow and hit our goals. Keep in mind it's just me handling every aspect of the dealership currently. Sales, Marketing, Advertising, Inventory, Web, Finance.