• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Getting those reviews!

Nothing monetary should need to be given to a customer to get them to write a review. And with the new laws in place, if they don't disclose the fact they were compensated in some way for the review, the DEALER is the one who gets in trouble.

Chip - FTC Publishes Final Guides Governing Endorsements, Testimonials if you are referring to these new rules by the FTC - hard to enforce. I think these new rules were aimed primarily at bloggers and not users of review sites like yours (google, edmunds, and others as well).

While I don’t agree with paid reviews. Even the FTC has even agreed with the fact that these new rules are confusing, ambiguous, and likely unenforceable in the real world. The size of the internet and the number of online reviews sites and people using them, along with knowing if the reviewer is “professional” or just a “Joe Auto” reviewer. I would like to see them try and figure out who “horneyhoney69” is that did a review and has a free hotmail account. I think the feds have bigger fish to fry.

It also clearly states that the "blogger" or reviewer is the one who gets fined (not the business). How could the business force a consumer to put a "paid for endorsement" on their site/review?

Just my thoughts....

On a side, but related, note. I got a call from a dealer a few days ago, and another one this morning from a different dealer, telling me that a VENDOR (lead provider) called and asked them to please post a review on a vendor review site. In return they would get a gift card with every review posted. LOL

I'll have to look into the at fault clauses in the FTC PDF more closely. It is definitely confusing as this section states both parties are liable:

"Advertisers are subject to liability for false or unsubstantiated statements made through
endorsements, or for failing to disclose material connections between themselves and their
endorsers [​
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]see [/FONT]§ 255.5]. Endorsers also may be liable for statements made in the course of their

endorsements."

Whether a dealer is considered an advertiser in this case is beyond me!?!

But I agree, bigger fish to fry.

Chip-

I agree that there is no need to incentivize the customers - just a polite request is fine. However, I am incentivizing the sales' staff...

I launched an online rep campaign at the beginning of this month. Each salesman's goal is 5 positive reviews/mo with one website as the focus. At month's end, those who reached the goal are qualified for a drawing with a $250 max payoff (cheaper than a pay per review plan).

My concern with this review campaign is the dealer CSI score survey (important with Nissan) that we also want the customer to fill out and submit. Where in the follow up do you ask for both these surveys - all at once, one at the dealership and the other 3 days later?

My plan for now is to let the individual salesman gauge the customer on a case by case basis and decide when the appropriate time is to ask. I added a qualifier to their incentive plan - your 3mo rolling average must be above region...we'll see how it goes.

Anyone else have the right formula for CSI surveys and online reviews?

I agree that there is no need to incentivize the customers - just a polite request is fine. However, I am incentivizing the sales' staff...
:iagree:

It's a bummer that you have to pay sales reps to doing what they should be doing in the first place. After all, what's good for the dealership is good for the salesperson. But the fact remains that salespeople are coin operated. I am sure you'll still have some that won't comply, but in the end I do bet you get what you're looking for, and that's more positive reviews.