• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

GM Internet Lead Quality - what is your experience and opinion?

Eley Duke

Boss
Nov 30, 2009
Awards
First Name
Eley
In the thread GM Internet Lead Response Time - OFFICIAL thread we started getting into a discussion of the quality of the GM Internet Leads. Not to get off track in that thread, I thought I would post this thread and ask everyone to share their experience and opinions on the quality of the GM Internet leads.

Chevy's VP of Sales and Service Alan Betty's letter from June 30th addresses discontinuing response time bonus, and then makes mention of dealers lead close rate, the writing may be on the wall for GM to now shift focus on our close ratios, which I would welcome, however GM would need to do a lot of improving itself because the quality of the majority leads are poor for the most part. To save you time here are my comments and my opinions from that post.

"GM addresses "lead response quality" in their statement above (from dealers), what needs more addressing is lead quality to the dealer! We average over 160 (more than some of our biggest competitors) leads a month from GM, (use to be 300), stock 80-100 units with all 4 GM lines and have a fairly good size area of responsibility with Cadillac. We averaged 2.75% closing ratio on 178 leads in May, that is about our average and we just can't seem to move it. The overall majority of the leads are very poor quality, and I am not alone i am sure in that statement. We get leads for $80K Escalades with bogus phone numbers and info, what happened to the "scrubbed" lead? Heck we get leads now with NO phone numbers, and today with spam blocks on email we dont get through to half the aol, yahoo, and g-mail accounts! My worry is if GM puts into place a requirement or bonuses for closing ratio we will not be able to meet that because GM's lead quality is poor and our amount of incoming leads we get will never allow us to get to their levels because of having all 4 franchises.

My statement to Alan Batey would be that if you are so concerned that the lead response quality is not acceptable then help those dealers become better with a good program like some other OEM's put into place years ago for across the board measures in all their dealerships. And if quality is your hot button then GM has a lot of work to do itself, many dealers would say to you that GM's lead quality is less than acceptable!"

So, what are your expereinces with GM Leads and your opinion of the leads you get? They are always hell bent on measuring us, I think it is time we start voicing our opionion and measuring them, do not get me wrong, I like our products and I support GM, but they need to know if we are not satisfied and its better we worked with them so we all can make it a win win for all of us and GM!! I want better leads, we can sell more cars, and that means more profitablity for our stores!

Eley