• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google Cars: No longer in beta

emilymoore

Boss
Feb 21, 2011
Awards
First Name
Emily
I just learned that Google Cars, www.google.com/cars (Google's version of Autotrader) is no longer in beta, and is expected to start taking on additional markets in the very near future.

Listing your inventory will be free, but they expect to sell their leads to the dealers. Everything will be done via proxy. In other words, you will not receive the customers real phone number or email address. And, after requesting a contact from a dealer, a box will pop up inviting them to leave a review - if they have a negative experience. I wish they would've reworded it to say that we have quality dealers who would appreciate the positive feedback...etc instead of presenting it as a possible negative experience from the get go.

I am curious to see how this plays out.

Thoughts?

googlecars.png

I have an extreme love and extreme hate relationship with Google. Like Facebook, they know the power they have over the users and have over businesses that want to advertise. In the long run they know they can do and charge whatever they want because businesses are willing to pay to play.

Reactions: 1 person
I'd like to see it once there are more dealers on board, to me right now it seems to be a prototype and very cut and dry, but then again it is Google. I'm sure it will be a cheap method of advertising because Google will want to be an overnight competitor to AutoTrader and Cars due to the fact it is Google. And some naive dealers will basically think, "well, we are on Google. We might as well be on Google Cars" -- then you'll have the confusion of dealers budgeting Google Cars between a lead provider or a advertising medium.

Has anyone else visited google.com/cars from a market that isn't supported yet? I did a search for my area and it shows a typical google maps page with all the dealers having the same phone number. I called the number and an automated attendant prompts me to press any button to connect with the dealer. No matter which button I press I get the same dealer.

I have an extreme love and extreme hate relationship with Google. Like Facebook, they know the power they have over the users and have over businesses that want to advertise. In the long run they know they can do and charge whatever they want because businesses are willing to pay to play.

Chad,

It is probably a human thing to feel that way but I don't believe Google wakes up thinking how can they extort more out of people by using their power. I think they are more focused on changing a market they perceive can do better for the consumer/society. That being said I'm not fool and I also understand that Google is just like any other company, just like any other company has to be including car dealers, and look for new revenue sources to expand its market share. You and I would behave exactly the same way (I would probably behave even a little worst than they do!) if we were in the same spot.

Not mirin. Do NOT want this. ALL Dealers should be against this.

Kcar,

It doesn't matter whether you and I use it or not... Dealers will use it if it helps communication and creates more leads. We are in the business of investing money in inventory/locations/etc :: investing in generating leads :: selling cars :: etc AND creating a positive ROI out of that.

If Google makes the equation work, dealers will join.

Google can only make this work if consumers use their system because it offers a significant advantage over other systems; whether the advantage is to find cars easier than Autotrader/cars or whether the communication (proxi idea) is better than carsdirect/autobytel has yet to be proven though.

It's been months since i've looked into the UX of Google's new product. IMO, it will impact our space less than we think.

I have to agree with Joe that this will not change the landscape immediately. Just like Craigslist didn't close Autotrader, just like TrueCar didn't kill other new car lead websites. But Google will change the balance of power if anything by spreading the control over who handles more or less lead volume.

Change will come harder over time if:

1) Will consumers like this or not 80%
2) Will Google use their spacing control wisely 10%
3) Will Google learn about these changes and react to better the program 10%

Reactions: 1 person