• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google Conversion Tracking

Nick Spolec

Peel'm off the Ceiling
Feb 16, 2012
First Name
Nick
Hello everyone!

I've started doing some internal Google ad campaigns that I am managing myself, and I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with Google Conversion Tracking --- specifically, I am trying to find a way to track if Google ad visitors are actually converting to leads.

The Google Conversion Tracking doesn't seem to provide any details on exactly what the conversions are, after installing the Google code on our website. It is showing conversions happening.

Anyone have any pointers on what I should be doing or how I can actually find out what those conversions are?

We set up Goals in our Analytics that track a path to a specific web form submit and labeled them 'Service' 'Trade In' 'Contact' (you can also track time spent on certain pages, or visiting a # of pages, etc) then imported to our Adwords.

Ok, great advice --- Are you suggesting to set up a conversion tracking for VDP views? Or viewing some other page?

I would do something similar to that. Some examples of my goals:
  • User views an inventory page, then views the contact page
  • User views more than 3 vehicles
  • User opens a form modal but does not submit form
  • User views a window sticker
  • User views more than the initially visible photos
etc. I do it different for different clients.
Some are setup in Google Analytics by page views, others require a JS fire to GA to trigger the goal.

Nick,

You're getting some great advice. The game is to create a scoring system that can help you see engaged shoppers.

Keep in mind that shopper's behaviors evolve over time.

upload_2015-7-22_8-33-59.png

This means you'll need many goals to catch many different shopper behaviors.