• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google Jumble (Help please)

Also - take a look around insiderpages.com, citysearch, dealerrater.com, yelp, and all the countless listing services to see how your dealerships are listed. I literally have 15 place pages I have suspended for Google pulling in an indexing different locations. We are a Chevy store and one of those listings was for Jerry's Chevrolet, Geo! GEO!!!! How long ago was GEO???!!!?

Marc makes a solid point here: If there is conflicting information found on other online directories, it could potentially unwind the process.

Surprised to hear that snail mail is not an option for you, as we take that route when doing directory site submission for our clients. It's a tiny postcard that can easily get lost though.....

Best of luck to you!

Also - take a look around insiderpages.com, citysearch, dealerrater.com, yelp, and all the countless listing services to see how your dealerships are listed. I literally have 15 place pages I have suspended for Google pulling in an indexing different locations. We are a Chevy store and one of those listings was for Jerry's Chevrolet, Geo! GEO!!!! How long ago was GEO???!!!?

Great advice! I will certainly look to see if this is where my conflict is coming from. Thanks!

Emily.

Here comes 500 hours of Local Search experience. Hope this helps...

Put yourself in Google's shoes. There are a lot of evil people out there. Google has no idea if you are a hack or a real business. To verify your business request, Google looks ALL over the internet to MATCH YOUR REQUEST WITH OTHER BUSINESS RECORDS FROM KNOWN HIGH QUALITY BUSINESS LISTING SERVICES.

This record is known as a "citation". A citation is made up of a N.A.P. NAP = Name, Address, Phone Number. Here comes the killer message! EVERYWHERE on the net, Every single NAP, has to match. It'll be your job to find the ORIGINAL NAP and align ALL the citations out there.

The ORIGINAL CITATION is the NAP you want to duplicate everywhere. The ORIGINAL NAP is the business record filed with local government. Ideally, you should get a copy of the business filing and use that record to work from, but, getting that can me a major time robber and a P.I.A. If your businesses have been around a while and you're having problems with getting copies from your office manager/owner, use the NAP from the factory franchise websites and verify those records against the NAP records from the white pages from the "ma bell" yellow pages company (not yellow book). (note: THIS IS WHY Marc M's CHEVY/GEO is STILL ALIVE!)

Get your ORIGINAL NAP and then go out and populate the net with the correct data!

Go to your web site, your franchise sites, AutoTrader, Cars.com, Dealix, local newspaper and media sites. Turn over every stone and get all your citations to match LETTER PERFECT.

Last edited:
Surprised to hear that snail mail is not an option for you, as we take that route when doing directory site submission for our clients. It's a tiny postcard that can easily get lost though.....

Best of luck to you!

I am not opposed to snail mail at all (that is the route I took when claiming/verifying all the Places intitially), but Google didn't even offer it as an option when I tried to correct or delete my listings. I thought that it was strange, so I logged out, logged back in and re-tried, but still no option of snail mail.

Emily - welcome to the Google Jumble Jam! I have a similar situation (7 stores with 9 locations). Talk about an absolute pain! ...

...take a look around insiderpages.com, citysearch, dealerrater.com, yelp, and all the countless listing services to see how your dealerships are listed. I literally have 15 place pages I have suspended for Google pulling in an indexing different locations. We are a Chevy store and one of those listings was for Jerry's Chevrolet, Geo! GEO!!!! How long ago was GEO???!!!?

All that to say - the snail mail does work. It takes about 10 days to get to me....if they make it.

...For dealerships with one location, Google Places is a breeze, when you have multiple rooftops and have been around for a while - it's a thorn in my side. So - get all your phone numbers to all match accordingly across all the listing services. I think this will help quite a bit.

Good luck and let me know if you find any tricks...

Marc,

You are so right, ALex will agree with ya, Multi-rooftops are a total FUBAR. Getting that NAP letter perfect is the most important 1st step.

After you get that, here's a trick for ya. PRINT THIS MAP (your Chevy/GEO mystery is answered in this map):
Picture-15.png

It comes from: A Closer Look at the Local Search Data Providers | GetListed.org

It's a bit dated (2008), but, it helps us understand who are the MAJOR PLAYERS in the Business Citation biz.

File your PERFECT NAP one time with the players below and BAM, you're all over the place!
- infoUSA
- Acxiom
- InsiderPages
- SuperPages
- Yelp
- Localeze

Other prominent sources for citations include:

- iBegin
- Citysearch

Last edited:
Joe - thanks for the road map! HA! Was a bit tough - but it all was clear as mud when I was tracing it through! We have been in business 40 years and have changed names a couple times (basically just GM OEM stuff, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Parts, etc, etc, etc) - but every now and then I catch another listing that Google has indexed.

My reviews get switched from place to place as well. I am sorting that out as well.

I have an "autogroup" place page and I am strongly considering removing it due to my most recent discoveries. It's causing too many issues. So - it's a constant battle - but well worth it. My place page along with click throughs, calls, map views, and total impressions is staggering. I get about 20,000 place page views a month - so I HAVE to be on top of it.