• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google Jumble (Help please)

Hey Emily - I drop in from time to time on DealerRefresh to dish out Local SEO advice, and I've been involved in the field as a consultant and as an agency owner since before Google maps existed. Here are a couple of broad tips for dealerships that go through name changes, phone number changes or need to change ownership google accounts:

I) When you remove a listing from an account do not click 'Remove this listing from Google Maps'. This actually deletes the record completely and all the trust associated with the listing data vanishes. Instead, always choose 'remove this listing from my Google Places account'. What the second option does is simply 'release' that consolidated listing in the wild again.

II) If you come across a listing which is already 'owner verified' but can't find the verification details then follow these steps:

1) Click on ‘owner-verified listing’ that you will see on the top right side of the listing.
2) Now you will be taken to your account's dashboard. Here, add a new listing with the exact same details as the listing you want to claim.
3) Once you do that, and hit submit, you should see the exact listing that you wanted to claim. Go ahead and claim it.
4) After that, you’ll have to PIN verify this listing. Please follow these instructions [1] to verify the listing.

III) One key point that many business owners do not understand is that Google Places operates on 'clusters' of data. i.e: It treats your name, address, phone number, description, images, reviews all as separate pieces of data that it amalgamates together to create a listing. The best way to make sure you listing data does not get merged or swapped out is to make sure that your citations across the web are uniform (so if you are on 123 Main St, don't call it Street on some sites and ST. on others).

I realize that was mostly general advice but I hope it helps some of you dealers. If you are ever in a rut please feel to email me at [email protected] or give us a call.

... it's a constant battle - but well worth it. My place page along with click throughs, calls, map views, and total impressions is staggering. I get about 20,000 place page views a month - so I HAVE to be on top of it.

20,000 VIEWS a month?
GULP! ...WOW! No doubt, this is a HUGE source of biz for your group!

I'm at 5k.

DR community take note!
The larger your marketplace population the more important Google Places is to your business.

DR community take note (part2)!
Google uses REVIEWS as a quality signal to RANK YOUR LISTING.

Want or need proof?
Take a look at this request: used car dealer near boston ma A VERY competitive listing. See Alston Auto Brokers (position D on my map). Alston breaks EVERY KNOWN RULE to a successful local listing.

Unclaimed listing.
NOT located in city proper
Dealer WebSite is DEAD.

All Alston has going for it is lots of reviews from different sources:
DealerRater
CitySearch
InsiderPages
Yelp

Alston's strong results are PROOF that reviews (from different "known" sources) are a very high quality signal for google.

SUMMARY: REVIEWS MAKE YOU MONEY.

Hey Emily - I drop in from time to time on DealerRefresh to dish out Local SEO advice, and I've been involved in the field as a consultant and as an agency owner since before Google maps existed. Here are a couple of broad tips for dealerships that go through name changes, phone number changes or need to change ownership google accounts:

Emily!
It's DealerRefresh day for you! Dev is a rock star in Local Search world! You'll see his work/advice all over. Be sure to follow his advice!

Many thanks to all of you for your helpful insights - they are greatly appreciated!

Call Google at (800) 838-7969 and tell them you want to activate the Google Boost and you cant do it because your accounts are not set up...

My Toyota dealers places page some COMPLETELY disappeared. Non existent.

I called the number and told them I wanted to apply google boost / express (which I actually do want to do) and they opened a ticket right away. So we'll see what happens here.

IF Google is going to down this road of HotPot / Google Places and reviews, I sure hope they have the people and support to drive it. From previous happenings with Google, this has NOT been the case.

My Toyota dealers places page some COMPLETELY disappeared. Non existent.

I called the number and told them I wanted to apply google boost / express (which I actually do want to do) and they opened a ticket right away. So we'll see what happens here.

IF Google is going to down this road of HotPot / Google Places and reviews, I sure hope they have the people and support to drive it. From previous happenings with Google, this has NOT been the case.

In the last few weeks all our Places got crazy... My Lexus Store was showing the Toyota Phone number and Address, after that all went into pending for few days and nobody could tell me why or how. When I called them nobody could help. Lucky us in less than a week all went back to normal. It was crazy.

It's not only crazy, it's complete bullshit. They're providing a service with little to no support. If this were any other company or service, we would say go screw yourself and take our business elsewhere. Wondering..does Google have a places page and if so can we review them? :)

Reactions: 3 people
Every week since my original post, our Place pages have changed. Some days everything looks exactly like its supposed to. Then the very next day, its a screwed up mess again. It is very frustrating. You would think that a company with the resources that Google has, could/would get their crap together and not have such a floundering jumble of information out there.

I'm going to go off on a tangent but before I do, Emily you have my sympathies. I know this is a major, major issue for any dealer that experiences it.

Now the tangent; I spent 10 years working for a major classified site. during that time, and since, I've run across dealers gleeful with the thought that Google would one day put the classified sites out of business. "This should all be FREE", I would hear.

Now imagine for a moment if your entire business were 100 percent reliant on Google. A company you have no real contract with. That can change the rules (and does) on what seems like a whim. That provides such limited support as to be non-existent. I'm not saying the classified companies are perfect at all - I'm just saying imagine the alternative.

I used to hear this about Craig's List... it is great! It is FREE! Now that is hard to post, that they need the phone verified, that they block IPs, etc, etc ,etc issues. Everyone says: Can we call them and see what's up? Can we pay them to get it done?

Free is NOT good in biz. Pay, even $1, and things move differently.