• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google Search Now Shows You When Local Businesses Are Busiest

Rick Buffkin

Sausage King of Chicago
Oct 29, 2009
Awards
First Name
Rick
Have any of you guys seen or noticed this. This is an example on your mobile device but it is also under your biz info on the desktop as well. Here's a link to techcrunch explaining what it is. This could possibly have an affect on your daily appointments.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/07/28/go...en-local-businesses-are-busiest/#.eut4s4:FwdA

This could be old news. I just noticed and though I would post it.

coffee2.gif

I saw this happen for a few of my clients, but I honestly don't see the value in the data for them.
What I saw was either:
  • The same bars on almost every hour, maybe a 5% differentiation between adjacent hours
    OR
  • Data that makes no sense like a really tall bar at 9am and 10am, the slowest time at the dealership
I think it's based off too many inaccurate data sets for our industry (ie: people using google maps to get to work would indicate many people arriving at 9am) so far, but maybe it will be good data one day? It doesn't correlate at all to my appointment times in sales or service, so I can't wrap my head around any value from it.

Husband and wife are looking at 2 similar used cars in the same area and planning on visiting them on saturday and bringing the kido's because the sitter is NA. Well your busy times on Saturday is in morning and the other dealers is in the afternoon. That could possibly have a sway on which dealership they visit first even if your vehicle is a little more appealing simple because of time and kids. Now a days, time is pretty important. If I know that I can visit somewhere and avoid a busy setting and still get a great experience with a reasonably priced product weather it's a car, tv or dinner, I'm in.

Also, the data thats used is not from search data. It's app data from google maps on the mobile device telling google where your physical location is. Thats how they are calculating the traffic flow into the biz.

Also, the data thats used is not from search data. It's app data from google maps on the mobile device telling google where your physical location is. Thats how they are calculating the traffic flow into the biz.

Unfortunately, that doesn't explain why ours isn't lining up at all with appointments or actual floor traffic.
Neat feature for restaurants, quick oil change places and clubs?