• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How are your new car sales for November 2011 so far?

danoneil

Boss
Apr 16, 2009
Awards
First Name
Dan
I work at a Honda store and this month has been extremely unusual. Same lead count & having a decent internet month. But new car sales are off by 40%. Not much traffic.

Are there any other Honda stores that are sluggish ? How 'bout other brands ? How's November shaping up ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: How are your new car sales for November so far ?

I know the sales numbers for my district and no one is having a banner month. The #1 store is 14 cars ahead of us. We could bang out a big day tomorrow and get right back in the game. Maybe it's just Honda as a brand ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: How is new card sales for November so far ?

It's not just you brother. I'm a Toyota Dealer an hour south of you. Guess what our New car dept is off by?... 40.2%. You're number is pretty accurate I'd say.

Used is up 20% though. I've personally sold 10 used and only 4 new. That is out of the ordinary for me to have 2.5 to 1 (used vs. New)

I just got of the phone with the GM of my previous (Nissan) store. He is having a good month in new but tracking a record month in used.

Boys, there is competition out there. You might have to expand your sales pitch beyond, "But its a Honda" or "But its a Toyota".

I just got of the phone with the GM of my previous (Nissan) store. He is having a good month in new but tracking a record month in used.

Boys, there is competition out there. You might have to expand your sales pitch beyond, "But its a Honda" or "But its a Toyota".

"But it's a Toyota" hasn't worked during the past 4 years that I've been at a toyota store. lol
obviously you have to know this ddavis.

I don't talk like that!! lol
But you do sound like some desk managers I know :)

I prefer , "The new 2012 Toyota Camry is 3000 lbs of high-strength steel and sex appeal! Is a test drive important to you?"

I don't talk like that!! lol
But you do sound like some desk managers I know :)

I prefer , "The new 2012 Toyota Camry is 3000 lbs of high-strength steel and sex appeal! Is a test drive important to you?"

Is a test drive important to you? What? Did one of those desk managers teach you that? Do any of them have experience dealing with customers that don't walk in a flop?

At my last store, they called the Internet department "The Plantation".

Last edited:

Is a test drive important to you? What? Did one of those desk managers teach you that? Do any of them have experience dealing with customers that don't walk in a flop?

At my last store, they called the Internet department "The Plantation".

I understand that it sounds ridiculous. Keep in mind that this is over the phone or email, not in person. It's supposed to be a somewhat loaded question, because the obvious answer is "yes"

"Is a test drive important to you?"

yes

"Awesome, I'm here until 9pm tonight. What time would you like me to reserve a Camry for you to test drive? "

It may sound stupid but it's been working for me lately. It helps deflect the human reaction of "WHATS YOUR BEST PRICE?"
Also, it doesn't come off as pushy to ask for an appointment because they just told me that a test drive is important. I'm just respecting what's important to them by asking for the appointment lol ;)

whenever they answer "no" I go into def-con 5 sales mode because they are hot. Usually the only people who say that a test drive isn't important are the ones who drove at another dealer and are ready to buy now.

Different strokes for different folks? It works for me.