• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How do you get in-house plates?

AWW_Spencerport

Smashing Bugs
May 16, 2012
First Name
Ryan
Were a smaller dealership. Only 50 cars. Sell about 20 a month. We always had a lot kid that went to the DMV and back getting plates. I was wondering, how do you get in-house plates? We were running our numbers and we spend thousands just going back and forth from the DMV. Especially when sales person or the lot kid screws up and has to go back and forth.

1) How do you get in-house plates?
2) How does the system work?
3) Are small dealerships eligible?
4) Does it cost more/less/same?

Thanks everyone.

New York State.

Were a smaller dealership. Only 50 cars. Sell about 20 a month. We always had a lot kid that went to the DMV and back getting plates. I was wondering, how do you get in-house plates? We were running our numbers and we spend thousands just going back and forth from the DMV. Especially when sales person or the lot kid screws up and has to go back and forth.

1) How do you get in-house plates?
2) How does the system work?
3) Are small dealerships eligible?
4) Does it cost more/less/same?

Thanks everyone.

New York State.

In SC you have to sell a certain amount of cars to qualify for electronic registrations. So most small dealers don't qualify. Not sure what NY policies are. If you're only running about 20 deals couldn't you just send someone once every two weeks? In SC we have 45 days to register I think all states are at least 30.

In SC you have to sell a certain amount of cars to qualify for electronic registrations. So most small dealers don't qualify. Not sure what NY policies are. If you're only running about 20 deals couldn't you just send someone once every two weeks? In SC we have 45 days to register I think all states are at least 30.

Yeah we have 45 days, Im just sick of customers whining about it so thought Id check it out.

I dont believe that you can get house plates in NY I have worked for two franchise dealers in upstate NY and we never had house plates If there are errors you may want to look at your title clerk because she/he is the one that does the paper work and that is where the screw up would be at not the poor lot kid who stands in the DMV line waiting to turn in the dmv forms that your title clerk filled out!