• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How Do You Get Salespeople to Send Out A Template? Instead of Writing Whatever They Want.

kcar

Boss
Jun 14, 2011
First Name
B
We have a template that ensures our e-mails are hitting the inbox, it has our branding on it, looks incredible, links to our site, wow-factors, etc. It's auto-filled with all the customer data, I even wrote a great introduction message they can send out or write over it.. And even a blank template they can use to write in.

But for some reason, no matter how many times we explain this.. They don't use the template, and just send a plain e-mail with a few sentences.

And the title's for some of these e-mails.. No wonder no one's reading them.. "Dealership Name" that's it or "2011 Ford Ranger" nothing more.

I don't get it? The template is in the e-mail screen, it takes ONE click.
Why do they insist on sending out their own thing? And to not use the templates.

I don't want to start taking away iLead privileges and I understand they are salespeople, but I'm not sure what to do. It's 80% no template or e-mail sent, just a phone call.

Gearing up for a BDC, but that's going to take some time to get going, so for now I'm trying to figure out what my options are..

Kcar, If I was your boss and I read this, I'd be ticked off! First thing I would do is have an all hands meeting. I would then tell the staff that using the template is not a personal choice, it's mandatory. They will either do it, or they won't work there anymore. The first e-mail that goes out not using the template, that person is gone! You'll get their attention.

If you can't make this happen, then people are not taking you serious. If senior management can't see the value in this, you are wasting your time at this dealership. I'd also tell them that they are going to start making videos as well.

You need to have a sit down with senior management and find out just how committed they are to improvement.

Also, why not post your template here, so we can evaluate it.

@kcar I'm personally not a fan of HTML heavy e-mail templates. Most people read their e-mail on their phone nowadays and HTML templates don't translate well onto them. You can get further, in my opinion, by using simple, text-only e-mails. Most dealerships use these HTML heavy e-mail templates so you don't differentiate yourself from your competitors. I've found in my experience that people respond more often to these text only e-mails but that was just my experience.

That being said, if your dealership has instituted a policy of using the templates, and your employees aren't, find employees who will.

Funny, I'm trying to find reps that HATE template'd email replies. My highest email closers are the reps that "read and respond" with a relevant paragraph and a link(s). The "auto-filled" replies using tokens to call content into pre-made emails have produced boring results on my end.

IMO, from my un-scientific findings, short text based emails that confirms and always ask a question seem to work well (this quarter ;-)

Reactions: 2 people
Funny, I'm trying to find reps that HATE template'd email replies. My highest email closers are the reps that "read and respond" with a relevant paragraph and a link(s). The "auto-filled" replies using tokens to call content into pre-made emails have produced boring results on my end.

IMO, from my un-scientific findings, short text based emails that confirms and always ask a question seem to work well (this quarter ;-)

This. I concur.

Kcar, why don't you use the template for the 2nd to 3 day follow up touch? You could let the salesmen do a personalized short response right away, then follow up with your template. Whatever you decide, even if you stand your ground , make sure you explain I the sales force why you want it that way. Maybe your template is the way to go but they don't understand why it helps them.

Also I would ask the salesmen why they don't use it. You could learn of a problem that no one knows, and make a simple change to fix it.

Funny, I'm trying to find reps that HATE template'd email replies. My highest email closers are the reps that "read and respond" with a relevant paragraph and a link(s). The "auto-filled" replies using tokens to call content into pre-made emails have produced boring results on my end. IMO, from my un-scientific findings, short text based emails that confirms and always ask a question seem to work well (this quarter ;-)

When I see a nice used vehicle come in, I use this template:

(First name),

Thanks for your recent interest in the (model) and (dealership name). I wanted to touch base to see if you are still in the market. A customer just traded in a really nice (model) that I thought might interest you. (brief description).

Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

It is so short that people will actually read it. It usually gets a good response and we make appointments on cars before they are priced and on the internet. I can search everyone that has expressed an interest in certain models, modify the email and shoot out an email to a number of people in a few minutes. I use "(model) Just Arrived" in the subject line.

I send this to customers that have not responded to new vehicle quotes. They may have not provided a phone number or have not picked up the phone. It is just another way to provide an alternative vehicle. It gets a good response and it is quick and easy.

I have used logos, at the top, and pictures of the car but just the text seems to work better.

It also helps to eliminate people that are just wasting out time. You get "already purchased" and you can remove them from your "to dos".

Anybody doing similar things that are getting results?

Reactions: 1 person
I feel the only time a template should be sent is the first auto-responder email that tells them an associate will be getting in touch shortly.

and

The "Why Buy Here" Dealer sell email

The rest should look and feel personal. Messages that take longer than 30 seconds to read don't get read.