• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How Hard Do You Try To Convert?

Katie

Over the Curb
Apr 10, 2010
First Name
Katie
Some leads that come into our system are no-brainers. People who want cars, right now, and are willing to come into your dealership to get the best deal. Make them an appointment and then BOOM. Moving a car. One more notch on your white erase board.

I love easy deals.

My question lies in the leads that seem right off the bat as a "Bad lead." Someone who never applied, never heard of XYZ car dealership, and would never drive one of the cars you carry.

When you get one of these leads, how hard, or at at all, do you work to turn these leads around into appointments, shows, ups, and potential sales and repeat business?

What is the key to doing this? Is it building rapport? Is it truly downselling, and then upselling? Or is is just taking the time to step out of the shoes of a salesperson for a moment and realizing that you are talking to another person on the phone.

I'm very interested in seeing what you all say, and see different approaches.

Thanks!

This is not an easy skill to teach but I have a rep in my BDC who is awesome at it.

He generally focuses on building rapport and continuing the conversation. Example:

Customer: Hello

Rep: Hi, may I speak with XXXXXX?

C: Wrong number!

R: Oh, I'm sorry to bother you. This isn't Mr. XXXXXX?

C: NO!

R: Hmmm, thats strange that I would get this request with your name and phone number on it. I was just following up to provide some information on the VW CC....

C:....yea....This is Mr. XXXXXX

Conversation lasted about 12 minutes. Customer said he was annoyed at all the calls but once we got past that he was laughing with my rep on the call, he wanted leasing information and scheduled an appointment.

This rep just keeps engaging them in a polite but confident manner and refers to their information and the lead information. Usually you can get past those early blow offs by doing this.