• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How Jeff Kershner Improved AUTO DEALER CHAT Software in a BIG WAY!

Shereef

Boss
Jul 24, 2009
First Name
Shereef
Hello Everyone

As I am preparing my Press Release (Announcing our successful integration with Edmunds.com data) I wanted to make sure I gave Jeff Kershner credit for inspiring me to add an excellent feature to our new Dealer Chat software. We will be the first to offer this integration, but I am confident that the rest of the Auto Dealer Chat software providers will start looking for a way to integrate as soon as they see our press releases and new banner ads :).

On September 22, 2011 Jeff posted news that Edmunds.com had opened up their vehicle data API. Five minutes after I read the post I was on the phone investigating. Adding Edmunds.com data to a Auto Dealer Chat support console is a perfect fit.

http://www.dealerrefresh.com/edmunds-com-opens-their-vehicle-data-api/

Integrating the Edmunds.com data into our new dealer chat software took some extra time and delayed our Beta and launch, but I believe it will be well worth the wait, as it adds value to our application. Our Operators, Always-Free Dealer subscribers, and Premium CarChat24 dealer chat software subscribers will now have all the Edmunds.com data right there at their disposal while chatting with site visitors. We are ecstatic about being the first dealer chat software provider to integrate with Edmunds.com data!

Jeff, Thank you again for the inspiration. You have indirectly improved the way dealers will access information while chatting with site visitors. I often find great info when reading through DealerRefresh and other automotive forums, but this one hit home, and will make a difference in our business and improve efficiency for everyone who uses our software.

I posted in Deals for Dealers yesterday about our free premium software and 24/7 back-up support offer to Beta testers, but will also be offering the integration with Edmunds.com data to our always-free subscribers as well.

Anyone that wants to get a look at the integration can sign up for the always-free version via the post in Deals for Dealers here on Dealer Refresh.

http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f60/carchat24-announces-free-premium-dealer-chat-software-back-up-support-beta-testers-2414.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Great idea Jeff!

I've notified our product team and they have agreed to add it into our feature set so that your dealerships will continue to have the info they need to drive chat prospects into the dealership.

Everyone else...Here are some things to consider when choosing a chat provider: COMPARE

Reactions: 1 person
Great idea Jeff!

I've notified our product team and they have agreed to add it into our feature set so that your dealerships will continue to have the info they need to drive chat prospects into the dealership.

Ryan

It's hard to see that map with all of those big dots covering it :), Gonna need a bigger map soon....

I'm glad you guys are looking to add it, Integrating Edmunds.com data will be a great asset for the chat operators and dealer operators while providing support. Are you guys gonna give a free version as well ? :)

Long time no chat, hope all is well with you and yours...

Reactions: 1 person
I'm glad you asked! So lets describe free....Free means you can close your accounting department and never send invoices. Free means you won't be around long. Free means the dealers don't have to sign an agreement, free means your sales people don't make commission, free means you can fire your support.

I am ok with charging for my software and feel 100% right about it. When I get dealers who call me and give me testimonies of selling 20+ cars every month and they are paying us $200 I am ok with charging. If I am a dealer (i was) I don't mind paying. I would rather pay for something to help make it better than not pay for something and it stay the same. You can't very well pay for developers with no income. This is of course unless you are going to collect in other ways.

I am doing well. We should talk more often. I like you but I still think your advertising is misleading but just like dealer ads when they come in you can always switch'em. Whatever it takes i guess, right.

Ryan

It's hard to see that map with all of those big dots covering it :), Gonna need a bigger map soon....

I'm glad you guys are looking to add it, Integrating Edmunds.com data will be a great asset for the chat operators and dealer operators while providing support. Are you guys gonna give a free version as well ? :)

Long time no chat, hope all is well with you and yours...

Ryan

Didn’t mean to fire you up :D

Our new free version of our proactive dealer chat will help get more dealers up and chatting with their clients who may not have been able to other wise because of budget issues, or because upper management doesn’t yet see/understand the value. It is known as a freemium software offering where clients who do not require/want some of the extras in the paid version are still able to proactively engage their customers online. We won’t be closing the doors lol, and our sales reps and resellers will still be selling our paid versions, and 24/7 staffed support services. As far as support goes we normally handle our clients requests within minutes or within the same day of receipt and don't plan on ever changing that. The freemium business model is nothing new and has been around for decades. Skype is considered a freemium business model, and they seem to be doing ok :)

Well said and I guess you put me in my place. I'm not fired up. Just think its funny that you mentioned money as being a problem. You know as well as I do dealers spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on advertising and driving traffic to their website. Some chat providers offer solutions around $200 to $500 monthly. Price should not be a problem. If you and I do our jobs right we should be able to explain this to them. On the other hand, a Gm that doesn't allow the opportunity to try chat hasn't been shown the value and that is an "us" issue not a them issue. Try harder!

If I ever needed someone to write headlines for me for blogs and news articles, you are my guy! Fabulous job my friend! You really are a marketing genius:) Keep plugging away and no hard feelings. I wish you the best for 2012, second best ;). Talk to you soon!

Ryan

Didn’t mean to fire you up :D

Our new free version of our proactive dealer chat will help get more dealers up and chatting with their clients who may not have been able to other wise because of budget issues, or because upper management doesn’t yet see/understand the value. It is known as a freemium software offering where clients who do not require/want some of the extras in the paid version are still able to proactively engage their customers online. We won’t be closing the doors lol, and our sales reps and resellers will still be selling our paid versions, and 24/7 staffed support services. As far as support goes we normally handle our clients requests within minutes or within the same day of receipt and don't plan on ever changing that. The freemium business model is nothing new and has been around for decades. Skype is considered a freemium business model, and they seem to be doing ok :)

:itsok2: vendor only thread?

Ryan,

I'm in a dealer (you know, under the rock) where paying for chat is off the table right now. I went out to find a chat system to use, as I know having Chat is important, even if it IS a BAD system with no interrogation. I have google talk back installed right now. I had 25% of sold leads last month originate from this tool. I can't copy the text from the chat into anything and have to manually create the lead in the CRM. It is there to be there-and it works to some extent. It pops up a warning box about "beware unregistered users" so only somewhere (I'm estimating as I can't track it well) around 1 in 6 clicks actually chat-and then only the ones I can get some sort of contact info or name on can I use in any way.

I don't know if the DP won't let me get real chat as a way to limit how many overwhelming tasks I have, but I'm doing all the google chats and the few from the CaO feature w/Cars and AT. There are those of us out here that will take anything we can get and have a running list of tools to implement once we DO get to spend a dollar or two. But I know, short of spending my own money (not on this pay plan), I have to grow this department out of determination and ingenuity. I will get a budget...then I have to pick where it goes...Chat? PPC? SEM? ....?

I know I may be a minority here as most in the community have more backing; but don't forget dealers like mine are still around (last year-my first as IMS-was more profitable than any of our past 96 years). ROI is a dirty word here, print is King, but they know internet is important. However, the pocket has yet to follow...

Cheers...from under the rock :nopity: ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

Ryan,

I'm in a dealer (you know, under the rock) where paying for chat is off the table right now. I went out to find a chat system to use, as I know having Chat is important, even if it IS a BAD system with no interrogation. I have google talk back installed right now. I had 25% of sold leads last month originate from this tool. I can't copy the text from the chat into anything and have to manually create the lead in the CRM. It is there to be there-and it works to some extent. It pops up a warning box about "beware unregistered users" so only somewhere (I'm estimating as I can't track it well) around 1 in 6 clicks actually chat-and then only the ones I can get some sort of contact info or name on can I use in any way.

I don't know if the DP won't let me get real chat as a way to limit how many overwhelming tasks I have, but I'm doing all the google chats and the few from the CaO feature w/Cars and AT. There are those for of us out here that will take anything we can get and have a running list of tools to implement once we DO get to spend a dollar or two. But I know, short of spending my own money (not on this pay plan), I have to grow this department out of determination and ingenuity. I will get a budget...then I have to pick where it goes...Chat? PPC? SEM? ....?

I know I may be a minority here as most in the community have more backing; but don't forget dealers like mine are still around (last year-my first as IMS-was more profitable than any of our past 96 years). ROI is a dirty word here, print is King, but they know internet is important. However, the pocket has yet to follow...

Kelly

Your not alone, I have been in the car business for 28 years now, and understand how apprehensive dealers are about what they spend their marketing dollars on. I was the guy saying no to vendors, and sometimes without any consideration for what they were selling (I was to busy, and vendors were always trying to sell me something, I needed to focus on the now, at least that is what I thought at the time). There are hundreds of vendors trying to sell dealers something, and they all guarantee great results. With this being said, a lot of dealers, or decision makers are on the defense, and it takes time, even for a great product or support offerings light to shine bright enough for the majority to notice. The smart early adaptors gain the advantage when something good comes along while the others don’t take notice until it starts hitting them in the pocket.

I first tried Chat in a similar way that you are now. I found some cheap software, had my IT guy set it up for our BDC to use when I was looking for anyway to gain more leads from our website. When I measured the results I was amazed. Now that we are on the selling side we understand that chat will grow over time, but it will grow much faster if we remove the hurdles blocking internet managers and sales people from progressing with the times. Our always-free version will open the door for those who want to sell more, and the extra marks on the sales board will speak for themselves
:).

I understand trust me I do. I want to make myself clear. I don't care if we offer free chat. I want to make sure we understand what is being offered. As long as it is clear and honest I have no problem.

Kelly,

If you ever need help please feel free to reach out.

Be blessed ya'll I think this thread can be put to rest.

Ryan,

I don't know if the DP won't let me get real chat as a way to limit how many overwhelming tasks I have, but I'm doing all the google chats and the few from the CaO feature w/Cars and AT. There are those of us out here that will take anything we can get and have a running list of tools to implement once we DO get to spend a dollar or two. But I know, short of spending my own money (not on this pay plan), I have to grow this department out of determination and ingenuity. I will get a budget...then I have to pick where it goes...Chat? PPC? SEM? ....?