• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Internet Lead Closing ratios

jimbell

Desk Monkey
Feb 10, 2010
Awards
First Name
Jim
It's been a while since I have seen any type of averages when it comes to internet closing rates on leads. With most dealers being as transparent online these days, I would guess that total lead volume is down and then also in return, show a higher close rate on lead submissions. We have seen our closing rates increase with the lead volume going down.

What type of closing rates is everyone seeing these days on leads (phone and lead submissions)?

Jim,

This is such a tough question to really answer, but I would love to see what type of answers you get. There are a few different things that can alter a Dealerships closing %. What might be a better thing to look at is the closing % of OEM, Third Party (Preferably broken out by source), Phone Calls, etc...

For example your own website should have one of the highest close % from the internet lead sources you are getting (not talking about sales phone calls). If you are receiving more Third Party leads compared to what someone is going to tell you the "Industry Average" is than I would assume your close % would be a little lower. This is really due to the fact that Third Party leads tend to close at a lower percentage.

Other factors that can really alter your closing % is what type of vehicle you are selling. I would say a good place to start with closing % is to reach out to your OEM representative and see what your zone or regions close % is on those leads and how you compare. Your Third Party lead providers might be able to give you your competitors close % if you ask them nicely haha. The reason I'm telling you this is because where your dealership is located, and how many competitive dealers are close to you is another factor.

If you have live in an populous area with 2 competitive dealers close by you should close at a higher rate compared to someone that operates in an equally populous area with 4-5 competitive dealers close by to them. I apologize for not answering your question directly, but I see a lot of people ask this question and I would hate for people to make a change in process based off a number that could be completely unobtainable or to low for your Dealership. At the end of the day there are so many different factors that can determine this number, and while one thing might not misconstrue the close % drastically all of the little factors do add up.

I hope what I just quickly wrote was able to at least help steer you in the right direction of where to start looking.

Reactions: skutchhenks
Jim,

This is such a tough question to really answer, but I would love to see what type of answers you get. There are a few different things that can alter a Dealerships closing %. What might be a better thing to look at is the closing % of OEM, Third Party (Preferably broken out by source), Phone Calls, etc...

For example your own website should have one of the highest close % from the internet lead sources you are getting (not talking about sales phone calls). If you are receiving more Third Party leads compared to what someone is going to tell you the "Industry Average" is than I would assume your close % would be a little lower. This is really due to the fact that Third Party leads tend to close at a lower percentage.

Other factors that can really alter your closing % is what type of vehicle you are selling. I would say a good place to start with closing % is to reach out to your OEM representative and see what your zone or regions close % is on those leads and how you compare. Your Third Party lead providers might be able to give you your competitors close % if you ask them nicely haha. The reason I'm telling you this is because where your dealership is located, and how many competitive dealers are close to you is another factor.

If you have live in an populous area with 2 competitive dealers close by you should close at a higher rate compared to someone that operates in an equally populous area with 4-5 competitive dealers close by to them. I apologize for not answering your question directly, but I see a lot of people ask this question and I would hate for people to make a change in process based off a number that could be completely unobtainable or to low for your Dealership. At the end of the day there are so many different factors that can determine this number, and while one thing might not misconstrue the close % drastically all of the little factors do add up.

I hope what I just quickly wrote was able to at least help steer you in the right direction of where to start looking.

I would agree that website submissions should close at a higher rate. I am wanting to see a full picture of all leads if possible.

@jimbell Here are some metrics I've heard recently. Please keep in mind that when people provide their full picture close % it's good to ask if it's a 30-Day, 60-Day, 90-Day, or even 180-Day close rate. Now I can't tell you from the data I received if it's either of those but I believe they are referring to a 180-Day close rate with the metrics below.

BDC
Appointment Set: 35%
Appointment Show: 65%
Sold: 65%

Cradle to Grave
Appointment Set: 25%
Appointment Show: 65%
Sold: 75%

Those numbers come out to be a 14.79% close rate for BDC reps (aka Appointment Setters or Internet Representatives) and a 12.5% close rate for Cradle to Grave people. The way it's supposed to read is 35% of your Internet Leads should have an appointment set, 65% of those appointments should show, and 65% of the people that show up should sell. I personally think these numbers are a little off but this is what I've seen recently from our manufacture rep regarding a close rate if this helps.