• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Inventory & Marketing Manager Worth

What if there is only about a year worth of experience?

It's just like selling a car. It's worth what someone will pay for it, you're worth whatever someone will pay you. There are so many variables to go into "what if's", but Someone will pay you consideribly more than 36,000/yr. I'm locking up and don't have time to find the link.... but go on here and search "ism pay" or "internet sales pay" . there are two great threads on here that will enlighten you.

Reactions: 1 person
What if there is only about a year worth of experience?

Don't take this the wrong way, but here is the way I see it:

1. You can't possibly be adding a whole lot of value to your dealership, if you were you'd be getting paid a lot more. The job responsibilities you outlined are typically handled by a 5 year or more veteran. How would you rate your performance on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best? If it's above a "7" I would walk in to the GM or owners office and demand a raise plus better hours. One must have balance in their life. The hours might have been okay in the beginning with the enthusiasm of getting the job, but you'll be burnt out before the summer heat arrives. You are probably already experiencing this, thus the original posting.

2. Quit your job and take one selling cars. You could make six figures and work less hours selling vehicles.

3. Keep doing what you're doing and be the best you can be. Coming here is a good place to start your "edumacation!" Hone your skills and then take them to a dealership that will compensate you accordingly. There's nothing wrong with working your ass off to get ahead in life, just make sure you have a future goal and a plan to get there. Use this opportunity as a stepping stone to your next one.

I am guessing you are under 30 and live in a small town, you can have a bright future in this business. Start a journal and document your accomplishments so you can tell a story on your next interview. I'd be impressed by this if I were interviewing you.

Good luck!

Brandon,

Look at your list of tasks on your list below.

• Completed daily trade walk to decide whether units are frontline, certifiable, or wholesale pieces
  • Choose, price and create mailers, e-mails and web specials for units
  • Arranged transportation for units going to auction and arriving from auction
  • Appraised trade ins
  • Completed dollar-per-day and turn time analysis’ to develop marketing and pricing strategies for units and models, both new and used
  • Entered customers into CRM database
  • Worked as a salesman and desk manager on Saturday’s to help with any overflow customers, while continuing my regular duties
  • Priced all online inventory
  • Managed a team of >10 individuals including photographer, porters, etc. and >10 subcontractors to ensure that our trades and any purchase units were clean and frontline ready, photographed and posted online, etc.
  • RDR’d certified vehicles
  • Purchased and sold vehicles at auction
  • Managed flow of units from rental program to our used car program
  • Cut time to market for used cars from ~17 days to 2 days
  • A variety of other tasks and reports as needed by the GM

Current Schedule: M-F 8am-9pm and Saturday 8am-8pm
Current pay: 36k/yr, 3000 draw, no bonuses and no performance pay plan

Software/Programs/Website Skills: ADP DMS, ADP F&I Results, ADP WebDesk, eCarlist, Manheim, vAuto, AAX, helped code recreate and redesign multiple web pages and sites for the dealership

Really Brandon? Really?
At one years of experience, you've listed 16 daily tasks that I would NEVER let you alone with. Here is all I'd EXPECT you to accomplish alone at year one.

1. Entered customers into CRM database
  2. Worked as a salesman and desk manager on Saturday’s to help with any overflow customers, while continuing my regular duties (aka Walmart greeter)
  3. ...ensure that our trades and any purchase units were clean and frontline ready, photographed and posted online, etc.
  4. A variety of other tasks and reports as needed by the GM

Young buck Brandon, here are some FACTS OF LIFE:

You're worth every nickle of $36k, THE REST OF THE LIST IS YOUR EDUCATION TO YOUR FUTURE. If you went to college, you'd have to pay for this education. YOU'RE GETTING PAID. Study hard & keep your eyes open.

Also, being a geek at a dealership does not create a high income earner. Just because you know geek stuff they don't know, does not mean you are competent to understand the business (see Kcar's growth here!). You need to work hard on your non-geek personal skills (common sense, decision making, team building.

Brandon, appreciate the opportunity that lies before you. It's a position with 100k$ potential that you are being paid to learn. Keep in mind that your most important training and duties are not technical, it's seeing what makes the machine work, where all the parts fit together and how many hats you can wear so that you truly become irreplaceable.

P.S. recognize that your opinion of yourself will get you fired if you play your hand wrong (like you just did here)

Last edited:
Alright Brandon, the curiosity is killing me. Can you post Your "story". How did you get this job with one year experience? Is this an auto group ? What did you do before this? The list of programs and software would suggest something more than a mom and pop by here pay here ... Plus your rdr cert cars... So it sounds like your dealer at least sells something on a regular basis. How did it come to this?

Joe re-posted the list of job responsibilities. Considering one year of experience and a franchise dealership, there is no way that this pup is desking deals, appraising trades and buying and selling vehicles at auction. Much of the rest of it is questionable except for the pay.

Joe re-posted the list of job responsibilities. Considering one year of experience and a franchise dealership, there is no way that this pup is desking deals, appraising trades and buying and selling vehicles at auction. Much of the rest of it is questionable except for the pay.

I agree something still doesn't make sense. Brandon , post your story please.

EDIT: Brandon, did you mean one year experience doing your current job or 1 year in the car business period?