• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Is the Internet Department Getting It's Share of the Advertising Budget?

I saw this Dataium/Cars.com study a while back. I'm surprised that it hasn't received that much attention. None of the Internet related sites, that I frequent, have mentioned it. When it suggests that dealerships could be wasting a huge percentage of their internet budgets, it really is a big deal.

I have been following this "Big Data" technology for a while and I believe this will change many of our perceptions of consumer behavior on the internet.

If you haven't had a chance to look over the Dataium/Cars.com Study: click here.

Last edited:
I saw this Dataium/Cars.com study a while back. I'm surprised that it hasn't received that much attention. None of the Internet related sites, that I frequent, have mentioned it. When it suggests that dealerships could be wasting a huge percentage of their internet budgets, it really is a big deal.

I have been following this "Big Data" technology for a while and I believe this will change many of our perceptions of consumer behavior on the internet.

If you haven't had a chance to look over the Dataium/Cars.com Study: click here.

What an interesting concept. As I was reading it, I thought it was all very common sense, however it's not the mentality that's contributed to my adwords spend. It's almost as if google has manipulated us into believing that our sites wouldn't be found without paid search, when it's the consumers knowledge of our site (more often than not) that actually drives SEM to work the way it does. The argument against this would be that through a good SEM campaign one could target negative words and bring people to the site that might not have been actually considered visiting. This would seemingly only increase the site's bounce rate, making it much more sensible to focus more on SEO than SEM, and spending the adwords dollars more on lead producing vendors or traditional marketing. It's a very contrarian perspective, but one that seems to be supported by data. Are/have you reducing your adwords spend in light of this doug?

Mike, this "Big Data" thing is going to change some of our preconceived ideas about consumer behavior and help us decide how best to spend our budgets. This really is a huge deal. They are only scratching the surface of practical applications.

Mostly due to a gut belief and after interviewing countless customers, I never got off of the third party display advertising bandwagon. There are some really smart people, on here, that agreed with me. We didn't have the ability to verify it.

I no longer make budget decisions, being a vendor, but there is no way that, I feel, that you can justify spending such a huge percentage, of your budget, on search (see pie chart).

The dealers that are going to continue to be successful will make content a top priority. Market-based pricing for new and used vehicles, transparency, and great marketing will win the day. It will show in bounce rates, time on site, pageviews etc..

I returned to the vendor world a few months ago. I have 40 years with dealerships in every capacity from a salesman to the GM.
I do miss having a team and the Sales Manager side of being in a store. I always got a lot of personal satisfaction being around young people and helping them be successful.

I left the the dealership when my 30 year old was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. I left again when it appeared to be coming back and I thought she was going to have to go back through chemo therapy. The good news is that by changing her maintenance drug, she is back to NED (no evidence of disease). I like being able to return often to Dallas to see both of my daughters and my grand kids.

Reactions: 2 people