• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Javascript Changing phone #

Jason Walter

Hat Trick
Jun 6, 2009
First Name
Jason
Hey Guys & Gals,

Anyone know of some javascript code that will dynamically change the phone number on your website based upon the referring domain. ie: if someone comes from Google your number would display differently than if they type in the web address.

Thanks...

Jason, I'm not familiar with a code that anyone can use but that's a good questions. But even if you did have the code, how would you go about having the software to track it for reporting purposes?

That could be a tough one.

It's rare I plug a product but I do know and have used (and would like to be using again) Century Interactive. They do offer this service with some slick tools to go along with it. Might want to check'm out.

Jason, I'm not familiar with a code that anyone can use but that's a good questions. But even if you did have the code, how would you go about having the software to track it for reporting purposes?

That could be a tough one.

It's rare I plug a product but I do know and have used (and would like to be using again) Century Interactive. They do offer this service with some slick tools to go along with it. Might want to check'm out.

Hey Jeff,

What I was thinking was that I would give for example a Google referral a different call tracking number than my regular phone number. I am mainly wanting to be able to track phone conversions for my SEM/SEO campaigns. I as most people do, have conversion code to track submits and have dialed that portion in but was looking for a way to track the phone calls so I have a better picture of the entire conversion rate.

Last edited:
Hey Jason :hello:

Google Adwords referrals append a code to the URL so you can check the querystring and switch out the phone number using server side code or js.

For just Google traffic you should be able to check the referrer server variable, this is once again a server side operation though.

Hope this helps!

Hey Guys & Gals,

Anyone know of some javascript code that will dynamically change the phone number on your website based upon the referring domain. ie: if someone comes from Google your number would display differently than if they type in the web address.

Thanks...

Jason,

As you know we also have this technology. Feel free to call me about it. I think it's been some time since we last spoke about this. You can do this with images, text, etc...