• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Just Relocated Back to Dallas

ddavis

Boss
Jun 28, 2011
First Name
Doug
Retirement isn't for me. I don't enjoy golf and all my friends are in the car business and always working.

As much as I loved living in Phoenix, I had to relocate back to Dallas to be closer to my family. My consulting work has allowed me to travel between Phoenix and Dallas. I was able to be with my daughter through her last surgery and much of her radiation theropy. The good news is that she is back as NED (no evidence of disease).

I want to get back into the business as either an Internet Director or a Used Car Manager. I have yet to find a place so relocation in the DFW area won't be an issue. I believe I have an impressive resume and definately great referances.

Reactions: 2 people
I love Dallas and am glad to hear you are back in the swing of things. It is great to hear about your Daughter as well! As far as the job front- I hear a rumor from a friend of mine that one of the Van Tuyl stores is looking. Not much else as far as info - but I can ask for you.

You can take the Doug out of Dallas but you can't take the Dallas out of Doug.

Great to hear about your daughter.

Any dealership would/should be standing in line to have you as part of their team. Let us know if you find the position through facebook ;)

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the kind words. Hilary has remained strong with the support of her husband, four year old son and lot of family members. Though this recent event has been a set back, you really have to put it in prospective. She was initially stage four.

Grant, I worked for Van Tuyl. They do a lot of things right. They always run great F&I departments. They use guest sheets and evaluate the trade at step three. They provide you with good tools like DealerSocket, call measurement and Dealer.com websites. Many of their stores allow the Internet Directors to desk the internet deals which I really like.

Joe and Jeff, I have only been home a couple of days and I am already getting bored. Realistically, many GMs don't want old guys on their staff. I had one guy make a comment about taking naps at work. Another asked me if I was computer literate.

Doug, great to hear your daughter is doing great, family is everything!

Did you tell the guy that asked you about the nap that yes you do take napes about 2pm, but only after you've sold your first 3 for the day!

I don't know anyone in Dallas but if I did I would give them your name, only people I know are in Austin, Houston, and Waco. Something will work for you I know! Good luck!

Eley

Eley, I had open heart surgery on a Wednesday and returned to work on Monday. The GM asked me to go home when I bled through my shirt. I would accept the "nap comment" from someone that has a stronger work ethic than I do.

Family is everything. I have a beautiful three year old grand daughter that won't let me out of her sight. She has these huge blue eyes and stawberry blonde hair that falls in ringlets to her shoulders. She is tiny but fearless. Next, "If I could, would you"?

Eley, I had open heart surgery on a Wednesday and returned to work on Monday. The GM asked me to go home when I bled through my shirt. I would accept the "nap comment" from someone that has a stronger work ethic than I do.

Family is everything. I have a beautiful three year old grand daughter that won't let me out of her sight. She has these huge blue eyes and stawberry blonde hair that falls in ringlets to her shoulders. She is tiny but fearless. Next, "If I could, would you"?

Doug, they just don't make people like your generation anymore. Too many today only care about numbers, don't get me wrong, we do too but we also place a lot of emphasis on our people, you have to have a mix. We have one person here that is 73 selling every day, has the most drive out of everyone! He was out for 6 months after a heart attack, we held his job, later 4 months for knee replacement, we held his job. We gripe over him, and his old ways, but he tries, he even went and got himself on Facebook. He's a good person, and his customers like him.

As for family, this is a tough business, and we all need support! I got to ski last Sat with my 4 and half year old nephew, we took him on a black diamond run at a place here in Va. My brother-in-law is the asst ski patrol director and my sister is on ski patrol. Everyone was cheering him on, he had us and 3 other ski patrol go with him to watch, its was awesome to see it. Afterwards I caught up with Parker Duke when he was out of his lesson, and took him for the first time down a blue trail at 6 years old, 6th time ever on skis, I was one proud dad.

Eley, I stayed married for seven years after the relationship had died. I moved out the same day that my youngest went to college. I would have liked to have moved earlier but I doubt that I would have the same relationship with the girls that I now enjoy.

I hope you take a lot of pictures. They remind you of what is truely important.