• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Metric chasing absurdity

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
We are drunk on leads and VDP views. I think we're chasing the metrics to the point where we are creating a bad customer experience. What got me to finally say this: A Canadian dealer is using the steering wheel as the glory shot just to get VDP views up.

But that's just one example. Chat boxes in your face, talking credit app ladies, text us buttons all over the site, and 19 different calls to action are also examples we are nuts on trackable conversions. I just think all this stuff paints you out to be the typical car dealer people love to hate: an obvious predator.

Sure, if your marketplace is full of obvious predators then I guess that's the norm. I like to call that the "rule of equal incompetence".... the entire marketplace chases each others' ads, vendors, and employees to the point where everyone is identical. In that kind of place I guess this Canadian dealer would see a bump.

We are drunk on leads and VDP views.

I know, it's funny. You gotta love this business though, when we get more excited about metrics than actually selling cars. We're fishing for buyers online, not hunting. The bait is our new and used inventory, vehicle merchandising is a big factor. You can't force shoppers into a process to get their information or trick them into being interested online. A shoppers perception of us also matters in the buying decision, but I think that plays a secondary role for the majority of buyers, simply because most dealers still have that predatory style online.

I like this pic, I wish someone could replace the bait below with pictures of vehicles. Uncle Joe's face on the fisherman would be a bonus too.

fish-story-how-to-use-sales-and-social-media--L-ULVulo.jpeg

Reactions: joe.pistell
...But that's just one example. Chat boxes in your face, talking credit app ladies, text us buttons all over the site, and 19 different calls to action are also examples we are nuts on trackable conversions. I just think all this stuff paints you out to be the typical car dealer people love to hate: an obvious predator.

This is a VDP?? WHERE'S THE CAR???

upload_2015-11-3_16-51-8.png

Reactions: craigh
If we are talking strictly about merchandising...

The medicine is to focus on adding real value to the experience. Invest in a photo booth, challenge your website provider to offer higher resolution images, create real videos of your cars. Stop adding widgets. Describe the internal recon work. Hire/develop a vehicle merchandising manager and give them every tool they need to manage and execute the process. Essentially, do all of the stuff the competition won't because they require a certain level of process adherence and effort to maintain them that they aren't willing to go to.

While they are busy adding neon-green widgets and taking pictures of upside down steering wheels you will give the customer information they want.

The VDP is a great metric. How many products will anyone sell if nobody sees them?

That said, I think we know conversions are not what they used to be. I most definitely know how many old school conversions come through (phone calls and emaills), but these are such a small, shrinking percentage when compared to views/users/sessions or whatever traffic number you choose to use. This doesn't mean we're selling less cars (in fact we're selling more than ever and expanding), it means shoppers are less interested in traditional means of contact. IMHO what not do is throw up (no pun intended) 'stuff' all over the VDP thinking it will generate more traditional leads. And while yes, more leads are great, it is more important to give users what they want through ease of use/user experience.

I mean really, could we make means of contact any more obvious? These are adults we're talking about, do they really need giant flashy arrows and buttons? I'm guilty as well, and we're in the midst of a complete site overhaul for this very reason.

I guess what I'm saying is people will convert into a buyer if you've presented a product their interested in buying, in a manner they like. But it won't be because you only have 4 ways to convert and not 5.