• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Netbooks- next Blackberry?

Here's my main questions based on our industry:

1. Am I understanding that I'd be able to log into any Internet based ILM/CRM and update though?
  2. Would I be able to log into Internet based website backend tools and make adjustments?
  3. Would I be able to VPN the Outlook from my desktop to the Netbook?

1. Yes, you can log into any web-based system as long as there is DIGITAL cell-phone coverage.....don't expect to have great service in the mountains.
  2. Yes, you can go anywhere that is web-based. However, there are some back-ends or CRM's that rely on the processing power (mainly in RAM) that is on the machine. If you're accessing one of those, things could be extremely slow no matter how good the Internet connection is.
  3. I don't see why not, but I'm not sure about this one. But you could, at least, use your Outlook Web Mail.
I'm rapidly converting all to Apple. I'm thinking I will be switching from the Blackberry to an iPhone as soon as we can get it to work better with our Exchange Server. I already use a laptop as my primary business machine (tethering off the Blackberry when needed), and couldn't imagine using a NetBook too. My 15" MacBookPro doesn't get in the way as I lug it around everywhere in a big messenger bag full of cords, books, and other things. There are a lot of advantages to the larger machine that smaller technology has not replaced yet....but the fact that I can do everything I do on a laptop is a big move in the "smaller" direction.

I don't know if any of that helps - just stating my opinion on things and trying to answer your questions.

P.S. I still use Skype.

Okay, okay...so I haven't heard anyone say they are doing this with bluetooth Skyping, huh?
I'm really looking for the least expensive option for a 4-5 "person" iNet team. Originally I thought I was going to be forced to become a MAC with an iPhone, yet the Netbook/mini laptop give me hope of mobile internet/documents and being on a phone call at the same time.

Oh- is there anyway to save my font settings here?

1. Yes, you can log into any web-based system as long as there is DIGITAL cell-phone coverage.....don't expect to have great service in the mountains.
  2. Yes, you can go anywhere that is web-based. However, there are some back-ends or CRM's that rely on the processing power (mainly in RAM) that is on the machine. If you're accessing one of those, things could be extremely slow no matter how good the Internet connection is.
  3. I don't see why not, but I'm not sure about this one. But you could, at least, use your Outlook Web Mail.
I'm rapidly converting all to Apple. I'm thinking I will be switching from the Blackberry to an iPhone as soon as we can get it to work better with our Exchange Server. I already use a laptop as my primary business machine (tethering off the Blackberry when needed), and couldn't imagine using a NetBook too. My 15" MacBookPro doesn't get in the way as I lug it around everywhere in a big messenger bag full of cords, books, and other things. There are a lot of advantages to the larger machine that smaller technology has not replaced yet....but the fact that I can do everything I do on a laptop is a big move in the "smaller" direction.

I don't know if any of that helps - just stating my opinion on things and trying to answer your questions.

P.S. I still use Skype.

Thank you so much, Alex! This helped a whole lot!!! I'll still have a Netbook at DD7 since I haven't replaced my laptop since it got stolen over a year ago. If it doesn't work out, I'll guess I'll go iPhone...lol...

They offer 2 separate functions. Even if you carry a netbook around, you'll still need a cell phone for calls. Even if you do use Skype, you'll most likely still carry a phone around if someone needs to get in touch with you. If you only want 1 device, the iPhone offers the best web browsing experience as well as its main use of phone calls, txt, etc. I'm a fan of the Blackberry Tour, but falls short a bit in web browsing.

They offer 2 separate functions. Even if you carry a netbook around, you'll still need a cell phone for calls. Even if you do use Skype, you'll most likely still carry a phone around if someone needs to get in touch with you. If you only want 1 device, the iPhone offers the best web browsing experience as well as its main use of phone calls, txt, etc. I'm a fan of the Blackberry Tour, but falls short a bit in web browsing.

I would also highly recommend any of the new Andriod or Palm phones. They also have great web browsers. Blackberry browsers are horrible.

I purchased the Dell Mini 9 for my wife at great price. Unfortunately, I got what I paid for. It came with the Unbuntu operating system and was very slow and locked up frequently. After encouraging Dell to upgrade my Solid State Hard drive it's better but don't think I would rely on it for work.

Ed, have you tried reinstalling ubuntu netbook remix? It's possible that Dell installed the full blown ubuntu and maybe the netbook version would be better for you. The OS itself is very stable unless there are hardware driver issues obviously.

I would also highly recommend any of the new Andriod or Palm phones. They also have great web browsers. Blackberry browsers are horrible.

Thank you for posting this, Matt! I wanted my xmas present to myself this year to be the Palm Pro- yet I wasn't sure what the other professionals in our field's reviews were. What's the word on pros/cons of the Palms, please!

Ed, have you tried reinstalling ubuntu netbook remix? It's possible that Dell installed the full blown ubuntu and maybe the netbook version would be better for you. The OS itself is very stable unless there are hardware driver issues obviously.

No, but at one point I installed Vista and it worked fine but ate up all my hard drive space. I'll check out the remix.

Thanks,

Ed