• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

NETFLUNX???

ryan.leslie

One of the good guys
Apr 20, 2009
Awards
First Name
Ryan
WOW...

That might be all there is to say. This is very interesting and a great case study in doing it wrong... TWICE! Less than 24 hours after a "too little too late" apology and there are almost 10k comments on the blog from folks promising to cancel their service in it's entirety.

Want to decimate your position as a market leader in 3 easy steps?

First, raise prices by 60% with little more than a press release.
Second, try to wait out the uproar hoping it will die down and then release a condescending pseudo apology.
Third, dilute your brand by creating a child company to hopefully absorb your net losses to a red box in a supermarket.

Blockbuster is crawling out of the grave.

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/exp...92327690D182D2BA72AB0AC0315E&lkid=netflixBlog

Are there any correlations between this and the local dealer? The big one is don't assume you are "big enough" to absorb a few negative comments without addressing them...they tend to snowball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: NETFLUNKS???

I must be one of the only people who has a Netflix account yet rarely requests DVDs through the mail, I pretty much exclusively use the streaming feature (PS3 / iPhone / Laptop).

I was happy to hear I would no longer have to pay for a service I didn't use. My monthly Netflix cost went down because I transitioned to the streaming-only package.

I'm truly surprised by the backlash they have received.

This move makes total business sense to me. Hedge the streaming and separate off the dying business. Physical media will go away in a matter of years as there is no growth in the DVD rental market while streaming has all the growth potential in the world.

I bought and installed a Roku player for my parents this spring. Super, super cool! Maybe the price increase was a means to force mail-buyers to streaming buyers? Poorly played? Probably, but the DVD business is going the way of the cassette...

Is streaming the way of the future? I hope so.

Is this a poopstorm of cancellations and bad press that Netflix management did not need while negotiating with the content providers like Starz? Netflix is trying to make sure they are the ones delivering that content once streaming is viable for the masses and this has been a disappointing showing.

I'm sure around here you'll find a bunch of early adopters that are anxious to see ALL content streaming, but we aren't there yet, and this circus isn't giving me confidence that Netflix has the chops to be the front runner in that era. These are some colossal blunders.

They didn't even check if the twitter handle for the new company was available before they publicized the new entity...and guess what? It isn't, and worse than that, the handle is owned by a pot smoking Elmo that's vernacular is made up entirely of words with four letters. Is this the new logo of a premier DVD by mail service?

qwikster_twitter2.jpg

Check out these recent tweets:

qwikster_twitter1.jpg
Anybody want a job at Netflix? I hear a PR job just opened up.

Reactions: 1 person

I must be one of the only people who has a Netflix account yet rarely requests DVDs through the mail, I pretty much exclusively use the streaming feature (PS3 / iPhone / Laptop).

I was happy to hear I would no longer have to pay for a service I didn't use. My monthly Netflix cost went down because I transitioned to the streaming-only package.

I'm truly surprised by the backlash they have received.

Same thing, I was on the top dog package with 7 DVDs and used it once or twice a month... downgraded to streaming.

Ryan,

"Want to decimate your position as a market leader in 3 easy steps?

First, raise prices by 60% with little more than a press release."

What about most dealers that have their new car priced at MSRP?

Last edited by a moderator: