• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

New Ways to get online reviews for sales and service?

tbullard

Tie Cut
Oct 15, 2011
First Name
Ty
I am looking to really ramp up my process and try to really start focusing on getting online reviews via dealerrater and so on. Does anyone have any best practices of how to get your customers to fill out honest reviews? Would appreciate any help with this.

A best practice that had a huge impact was to give it a good weight as part of our spiff program. Don't get me wrong, you don't always have to pay sales people to do it! ...but they know how to work their pay plans for extra cheese.

Another that helps is constant re-enforcement. We read reviews at all staff meetings and pat guys on the back for positive reviews their customers post. Keep it top of mind in everything you can - it's a change and like all change it comes down to the leadership of your management to execute and lead the charge.

Good luck Joe!

Every person that buys a car goes thru F&I and every service customers goes thru cashier's office.

Start just by asking, like BestBuy asks if you want to buy a warranty or Barns and Noble asks if you are a rewards member.

Simple things like 'my manager checks my performance based on customer's feedback, would you mind writting a few words abotu my performance?'

Nothing wrong with asking and by the laws of regular biz (more people are happy with their new car than not) you will get plenty of reviews.

Reactions: 1 person
Every person that buys a car goes thru F&I and every service customers goes thru cashier's office.

Start just by asking, like BestBuy asks if you want to buy a warranty or Barns and Noble asks if you are a rewards member.

Simple things like 'my manager checks my performance based on customer's feedback, would you mind writting a few words abotu my performance?'

Nothing wrong with asking and by the laws of regular biz (more people are happy with their new car than not) you will get plenty of reviews.

Right-on. Hopefully you've built some rapport with your client. So by "asking" you are making an emotional connection between the survey and yourself. If it's at delivery, perfect: big emotional climax. Same with regular CSI.

We also have our BDC send links to appropriate review pages based on "Happy" clients. So when the BDC does a Sales or Service follow-up, and finds a "happy" client, we ask if it's OK to send them a link where they can share their thoughts. This approach allows for a round-robin of review sites as well.

That's a good idea, where it gets difficult is the transition afterwards. I'd like to hear more about your process - do you guys get the customer to review right then? Do you get them to do it at home? How do you make it easy for the customer to post the review?

To me that's the big question when it comes to reviews. We'll all agree and nod our heads that we need to ask for the review, just like we ask for the sale, but a solid process after you've asked is where the gold is at.

We also have our BDC send links to appropriate review pages based on "Happy" clients. So when the BDC does a Sales or Service follow-up, and finds a "happy" client, we ask if it's OK to send them a link where they can share their thoughts. This approach allows for a round-robin of review sites as well.

This is very similar to what Presto Reviews does as well as @utoRevenue's Prime Response. It allows you to control (somewhat) where reviews are posted and the overall content balance on the various review sites out there. We're currently using a service that takes physical paper reviews and plops them on Google. This is a temporary solution to help boost our ratings quickly and eventually we will get to a point where we use our CRM to send emails like JQuinn.

The whole review business can get quite time consuming. I had to take over 'business pages' on 5-6 different sites out there when I came in here. I think having Dealer Rater on our site as well has our Facebook page may help in converting people over to writing a review.

That said I think right now Google is the number one priority. It's just so convenient as a consumer. As an example I was looking into B&Bs in Savannah last night. I did a basic search (Bed and Breakfast Savannah ga) and right there on there map's listing was the nightly rate with review ratings. I literally was able to make decisions on which to pursue without ever visiting the businesses' websites.

If ATC follows Cars.com lead with dealer reviews that may become a major source as well.

Right-on. Hopefully you've built some rapport with your client. So by "asking" you are making an emotional connection between the survey and yourself. If it's at delivery, perfect: big emotional climax. Same with regular CSI.

Hopefully you have built good rapport! You are selling a car... if you person didn't like you/feel confortable they probebly wouldn't be buying from you, right? I know that doesn't apply to all the cases but certainly to a majority.

Just foir the sake of numbers;

At BestBuy they will expect an 7% warranty close in the sales area and an 11% in the cashiers area. When the cashier inputs your product to get the price the computers reminds them to ask about the warranty.

In terms of a dealership if you sell 100 cars new and used, and have 400 people using service, 10% average in a 500 people month means 50 reviews per month--a really good start.

Mitch,

I'm a vendor, so I work with dealers on setting this process up. Hopefully my comments below will help you.

That's a good idea, where it gets difficult is the transition afterwards. I'd like to hear more about your process - do you guys get the customer to review right then?

You should do it before, during, and after the sale if you can. Why not? You do it before the sale by advertising at the dealer that you want to hear from your customers about your biz performance, you can do that in places like the window stocker in the used cars: "tells us about your experience @ capitalagexperience.com", "we listen so we can improve, tell us @ capitalcarexperience.com", "how did we do for you?", etc.

The dougnut delievery truck has something like that in theback of the trucks! 'how is my driving: call 800.000.000" That provides some type of notion to the customer that the doughnut company cares but it also lets the driver know that he is acciuntable at all times. This works the same for your sales people at the dealer if this is in the window labels: "srew up with a cstomer and we will know".

Do you get them to do it at home?

Sure, why not? If they are mad at you they are going to write something anyway... lets encourage the positive ones.

How do you make it easy for the customer to post the review?

We build these for our clients for about $150 ilovebarriervolvo.com

They work great on an IPAD, allow you to direct customers to any site that you have (Yelp, google, DR, etc) and also to your own site if the custoemrs don't have any account.
Use this at the dealership, or tell them to use it when they go home.

I'm sure that you can get other people to build these for you for $150... just stay with the idea.

Notice at the bottom of the page that we also integrated their craigslist postings, reviews, and blog... we index these sites also under your name pretty well.

This dealer has a link to thattype of page at the top corner in their home page: Brien Everett Ford dealers - Seattle Ford cars - Marysville - Ford trucks serving Lynnwood Bothell WA

Yago

I really like that site you built for $150.00. So exactly how do the dealerships encourage that. My idea is to purchase an ipad and have it on the cashier's desk and when checking out we give them an opportunity to do one right then. Is it legal to give them something in return for filling one out? Also most people are still in love with ipads so maybe it will be a cool thing to do at the window for the customer. I do not personally have an ipad but love to play with them when i can. Thoughts? thanks for the replies by the way!

Ty