• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Newbie needing to know where to start

Oct 13, 2012
First Name
Bobby
We are an independent with 4 different locations within 2 hours of each other. We have 200 cars on the ground and average 100 vehicles a month. We are currently using Cars.com & Autotrader.com, and craigslist as our main forms of web advertising. We normally sale 70-100 cars a month but I feel we are missing several deals by not properly utilizing the internet.

We are not currently using any CRM but I have been after our owner to ad one so hopefully that is coming soon. I am needing advice on marketing training. The more online training I can find the better. Any and all advice would be welcome!

Thanks

Bobby

Chickasha, Oklahoma

There are a lot of really knowledgeable experts on Dealerrefresh so you picked a great place to start. Regardless of the area or topic, you will find people who know a lot and are willing to share their opinions.

Here are myy suggestions, as someone who went through a similar situation 3 years ago:
-Take a look at your websites...this is your online showroom and if you aren't portraying a good image, people won't walk on your lot.
-How are your vehicles marketed-photos, comments, etc?
-Sales process-what is your current follow up plan? Without a CRM, who is holding the Consultants accountable for their follow up? Have you secret shopped your own dealership? Please don't take offense, I would bet $10 that without a CRM, your current Consultants don't follow a lead more than 3-7 days. If your process isn't in order, I guarantee you are losing double digit internet sales.
-Browse through the threads on here, there is a ton of information.

That's where I would start, hope this helps. Be patient, don't try to do everything at once. Good luck!

AJ, I would say it is safe to say you wouldn't me losing any money on that bet.

The managers at each of our locations are responsible for putting the descriptions into Frazier for each vehicle on there lot. At last check we are at 98% on comments on Cars.com/Autotrader.com

We use Teton to do our photos and recently upgraded from 9 photos to 18.

A lot of the things we are doing are outdated but they are opening up to making changes!

If anybody has any suggestions of any webinars to watch I would love to know where to go. I lot of the videos on youtube have been just short clips of "automotive boot camp" and other seminars that i can find.

Literally everything you could want to know is here on Dealer Refresh take time to dig in and learn! Internet, CRM, etc is important, don't let the old car guy habits overpower new school methods; which honestly are absolutely key in today's market.

Welcome Bobby!
There are some vendors who host free weekly webinars with many industry thought leaders. You can sign up for one at Noon cst tomorrow HERE and ones on Wednesday HERE. Quick thoughts on Tuesdays HERE; general white papers and updated ideas HERE.
Most importantly-if you have a question, use the DR search bar, there's most likely a related thread that will help. If you still have a question...ASK! I've found The DR community to be very open and helpful in my 19 months. We're opinionated and loud but we don't bite...too hard.

Reactions: 1 person
Oh God, they still use the Gorilla tactic.. lol. Got to love it..

c3.jpg