• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

NPR reports on Fake Reviews

I think you've illustrated the point of the NPR article quite nicely. The rating doesn't matter as much as the story! The consumer is smart enough to pick up on these nuances too, and they will quickly disregard the crazy stuff. Suspend disbelief for a moment and pretend you don't like doughnuts. I bet you'll quickly disregard a negative review that lists that as the only negative, right?

You can't please all the people all the time. We all know this to be true, consumers included, especially when it comes to consumer behavior. But that begs the question... Why pretend that you can by manipulating the content? We've talked about this before, but it is worth revisiting. Review "Syndicators" and exclusive use of platforms that allow you to filter out or hide the negative reviews do a tremendous disservice to the dealer. Those crazy people absolutely need to be represented in aggregate, and I think any purported objective review site that doesn't include some crazy people's reviews is likely to be marginalized for that reason alone. Not sure what Trust factor percentage Nielsen gave to "misleading marketing sites posing as objective review sites," but it is safe to say it is less than 25% ;).

Negative perception of dealerships is a problem, but it is one that is changing very rapidly for the stores that have adopted a "we will be reviewed publicly by every person we email, talk to on the phone, or greet in the showroom whether they purchase or not" culture.

Good thing about keeping the conversation is that reflects the changes that we are experiencing in consumer reaction against/for reviews.

I don't think that just negative perception about dealers is a problem, in general, reviews offer a way to "get back" at a business and allow people to do that dis-proportionally to the issue that they may have had.

Good thing about keeping the conversation is that reflects the changes that we are experiencing in consumer reaction against/for reviews.

I don't think that just negative perception about dealers is a problem, in general, reviews offer a way to "get back" at a business and allow people to do that dis-proportionally to the issue that they may have had.

Thanks for all of the responses to this post.

I think it is really important to recognize that the person leaving that negative review doesn't believe their response is disproportionate to their experience. Their perception IS their reality! They simply don't have the familiarity to discern between big and small errors, and every error that affects them is always going to feel BIG to them.

Managing to perception is often difficult, no doubt. But the upshot potential is so rewarding. Some of the most glowing authentic reviews on DealerRater started as negative reviews. What changed those reviewers into Raving Fans? It was a skilled manager reaching out, taking the time and making the effort to change that consumer's perception of their brand...

Thanks for all of the responses to this post.

I think it is really important to recognize that the person leaving that negative review doesn't believe their response is disproportionate to their experience. Their perception IS their reality! They simply don't have the familiarity to discern between big and small errors, and every error that affects them is always going to feel BIG to them.

Managing to perception is often difficult, no doubt. But the upshot potential is so rewarding. Some of the most glowing authentic reviews on DealerRater started as negative reviews. What changed those reviewers into Raving Fans? It was a skilled manager reaching out, taking the time and making the effort to change that consumer's perception of their brand...

It all sounds good but for as long as there is no control on both sides (right now all control seems to be focused on the dealer side) there will be a tendency for the reviews to be exaggerated.

Any "attacker" that knows there will be no retribution or consequences to his actions is historically more aggressive that is should.

Thinking a little bit about this whole review business, the dealers that have good reviews are not better people than the ones with bad reviews, they just have invested time and resources in managing their PR. I know great dealers with horrible reviews just because they are not paying attention to digital and I know absolute pirates that have great reviews just because they have learned to navigate this new business.

My DP just walk in and said at the Chrysler event last weekend he attended a panel where it was said that they understand everyone being upset about fake and bad reviews - BUT- They thought people reading reviews to be a fad that would pass in the next few months.

I know absolute pirates that have great reviews just because they have learned to navigate this new business.

It is all about culture. If your staff is Ali Baba and the forty thieves, the only way you are going to have good reviews is if they write them or pay someone to do it. To these people, the fact that it could be viewed as false advertising is not a major concern. It is part of their business model.

My DP just walk in and said at the Chrysler event last weekend he attended a panel where it was said that they understand everyone being upset about fake and bad reviews - BUT- They thought people reading reviews to be a fad that would pass in the next few months.

My first job, out of college, was to work for one of the manufacturers. Factory people have no idea how to sell cars. They have never caught an up, closed a deal and delivered a car. They even know less about doing it over the internet. It wasn't Chrysler but I did run the volume Dodge store in the New Orleans zone.
Whoever told your DP that is an idiot.

Reactions: 1 person
My first job, out of college, was to work for one of the manufacturers. Factory people have no idea how to sell cars. They have never caught an up, closed a deal and delivered a car. They even know less about doing it over the internet. It wasn't Chrysler but I did run the volume Dodge store in the New Orleans zone.
Whoever told your DP that is an idiot.

Thank Good the manufacturer doesn't know how to sell cars or otherwise they would be trying to tell you how to do it. Oh wait...

Reactions: 2 people
Among several reviews on Cars.com, I noticed this one:

I was very pleased that they didn't hassle me into buying the car right then and there. Told them I wanted to think about it. They answered my questions, test drove the car and left. Great experience!

Reason for Visit: Shopping for Used
Would you recommend this dealer to a friend? Yes
Did you purchase a vehicle from this dealer? No

This was a "great experience"? For who? I wonder if he has had time to think about it?