• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

ONLINE newspaper marketing vs GOOGLE PPC vs NEWS Website

Banner ads are all about branding. Judging them on a CPC basis like PPC does not give them justice. They should be "part" of an overall strategy but not a large % of your online budget.

There is a reason why most online display AKA banner ads are sold on CPM. Its all about the eyeballs. We typically see 50 cent - $2 CPM depending on the area of the country your dealership is located.

Metrics to watch after a banner campaign is running:
(1) Increased organic traffic - I have seen most of the value in banner ads to be seen on Analytic's as increased "SEO" traffic. Most of these additional searchers are coming through the dealership name or the incentive (think: Whatever is on the banner ad).

(2) Clicks through the banner ad

Is PPC a better investment on a CPC basis? Sure it is, and I am a HUGE believer in paid search, but it also misses part of the market that banner ads and social media even get you into.

Diversify your online portfolio and great things will happen.

I can't speak to if you should do one or the other. I advertise on our local newspaper website. It's a little smaller of a town so their numbers aren't quite the same, but the price reflects. Think like 150,000 unique. Anyway, we get .21% CTR and they spend about a minute and a half on the site on average. None have clicked thru to a lead submission form. Been doing it 3 months. Hope this helps.