Welcome to DealerRefresh Forums!

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking thelink above. You may have to Register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Penguin 2.0 Is Here!

Discussion in 'Online Dealership Marketing Best Practices' started by cmjerry4531, May 23, 2013.

1. cmjerry4531

cmjerry4531 Refresher

First Name:
    Cody
    Company:
    Search Engines MD
    Twitter:
    inquiryengine
    Google announced this afternoon that Penguin 2.0 was going live, and later said that the roll out is complete. Anyone see major changes to their search results?
  2. JoePistell

JoePistell Super Moderator

First Name:
    Joe
    Company:
    Dealer.com
    Twitter:
    JoePistell
    Wow. Everywhere I look. Wow.
  3. Ryan Leslie

Ryan Leslie Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Ryan
    Company:
    DealerRater
    Twitter:
    jrleslie
    This video from Matt Cuts was released on May 13th. I know, I know, 10 days ago?!?! That is ancient history.

[video=youtube;xQmQeKU25zg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQmQeKU25zg&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

Best part might be when he says "Now, things could change" ;)

Joe, can you explain what you are seeing "everywhere" in layman's terms? Also, is this latest hard nudge for G+ adoption by business' new today too?
    recent posts.jpg
  4. cmjerry4531

cmjerry4531 Refresher

First Name:
    Cody
    Company:
    Search Engines MD
    Twitter:
    inquiryengine
    As I start to go through some of my sites today I've seen a few dealerships fall off the map. As in, we were fighting for the #1 spot, and now they are gone. I checked out an obvious link network in our industry that I thought would be hit, but they adjusted their strategy sometime in the last month. They were going for all keyword rich links in the network, but switched to just do branded links. Just goes to show that Joe was right when he said that Google gives car dealers a break on these updates.

Here's some articles about Penguin, and another update that just rolled out:
    Penguin 4, With Penguin 2.0 Generation Spam-Fighting, Is Now Live
    Google Domain Clustering Update? | Justin Briggs

Right now there is a bug in the domain clustering update, so if you use site command searches, site:domain.com, you will only see a limited number of listings. This update makes it easier for your competitors to sneak into your main keywords like "Toyota Dallas." So, optimizing your Social Media, and giving it some link love would be a good idea to continue to fill up those results against your competitors.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Kelly Wilson

Kelly Wilson Super Moderator

First Name:
    Kelly
    Company:
    Oliver C. Joseph, Inc
    Twitter:
    KellySueWilson
    Where did you look? Chrome, firefox and IE all look different...I like a lot of the changes & the .gif love
    where did you look.jpg
  6. craigh

craigh Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Craig
    Company:
    Vicimus
    Twitter:
    craighooghiem
    Haven't seen many changes up here in Canada.
    A few of our sites gained traction under "used cars" related terms, but most of the stores stayed steady for anything location or brand based (ie: Toronto toyota).
  7. craigh

craigh Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Craig
    Company:
    Vicimus
    Twitter:
    craighooghiem
    If you want to see unbiased results (which, ironically less and less customers are going to get anyways) then try using some online tools or https://adwords.google.com/d/AdPreview to preview the results - should show what a "vanilla" customer would see.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JoePistell

JoePistell Super Moderator

First Name:
    Joe
    Company:
    Dealer.com
    Twitter:
    JoePistell
    My Bad. 1st 10 SERPs I looked at were completely different, but, the more I looked, the less was impacted.
  9. cmjerry4531

cmjerry4531 Refresher

First Name:
    Cody
    Company:
    Search Engines MD
    Twitter:
    inquiryengine
    Here's a list of some of the biggest changes

http://blog.searchmetrics.com/us/2013/05/23/google-penguin-update-2-0-loser-analysis/

E zine articles got hit again, so anyone using them for link building should probably reconsider.
  10. ddavis

ddavis Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Doug
    Company:
    Retired
    Does anyone remember Y2K? I'm not seeing any impact to what we do. Don't have to worry unless you are gaming the system.