• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

PPC Campaign

Paul Bubar

Rust & Dust
Nov 9, 2009
First Name
Paul
I finally started a small PPC Campaign yesterday. Everything is going as planned EXCEPT.. My ads are showing up on the right instead of on the top of the page. Even in places where I am the only one that has bought the keyword. I set this up through Google Adwords. I'm wondering if possibly I did something wrong?

Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you

The bad news is that you really can't control where google decided to place your ads.

You can always bid more money if you have competition, but remember that your placement on a page is determined by two key factors: relevance of the landing page and the money spent.

The good news is that studies show that ad placement for SEM/PPC advertising is not as important as it would be for SERP. So, even if you have an ad that is places 3rd, 4th or 5th on a page, there is an equal chance of a customer clicking to your site.

Your best bet is to work on what you are saying. Come up with around 2-4 ads and then track how well they are being clicked. Get rid of the bad and keep the good. Never stop doing this, unless you are completely satisfied with your click through rate.

Ao I finally started a small PPC Campaign yesterday. Everything is going as planned EXCEPT.. My ads are showing up on the right instead of on the top of the page. Even in places where I am the only one that has bought the keyword. I set this up through Google Adwords. I'm wondering if possibly I did something wrong?

Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you

Paul,

Google PPC takes a while to collect traffic history on your account. Google uses your ads and the traffic they create to assign you a Quality Score on each of your ads.

Also, like Clay says, make sure your ads have a good hook to get visitors to click on your ad. This will create a higher the Click Thru Rate (CTR), and in the video you'll see below, CTR is key to a high quality score. High Quality score will give you higher positions for less cash (too bad autotrader doesn't do that)

FYI: My all time favorite video for PPC

p.s. Be sure you've Triple check your geographic area.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ Very informative video! I was wondering how the ranking, and pricing system worked. I will have to watch these ads to see how they are working over the next few days. This is a first for me so I was just testing the waters.

Thank you for the infomation!

Reactions: 1 person
Paul, good for you jumping into running your own PPC campaigns. Joe and Clay of course offered some great feedback.

Give it some time for your campaigns to settle in...

Adjust your bids at the keyword level
Keep a close eye on your ads showing in the Content Networks
Use the category and site exclusion feature. This tool allows you specify or block certain types of webpages/content from showing your ad.

And as Joe points out - Triple check your geographic area!!