• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Question for GMs, General Sales Managers, and Sales Managers

Hi everyone, hope you're having a great Sunday so far. I wanted to ask anyone who is a GM, General Sales Manager, or Sales Manager a question as a vendor. What is the best way to reach you?

I've been reaching out via email because I'm sure you receive a lot of calls and are focused on sales. My goal is not to be a nuisance, because what we do really does help, so I want to know your perspective on it being on the other end. I also reach out more on Mondays since it's the slowest day.
My best advice for an individual who wants to do business with dealers is to get a job within the industry. Once you get inside you'll begin to identify problems. One thing you'll notice quickly is the abysmal customer service many vendors give dealers, you can even offer the same solution with a better service or guarantee. It took me 3 years to identify and build a viable business, after two failed attempts and tens of thousands lost.

This is the route I followed, I built an online platform for selling exotic car parts. Ran that successfully for a couple of years, now I work with a major OEM overseeing and growing their parts eCommerce channels across the entire country. I also build/implement IT solutions for SMBs and a few dealers.

If you are still in the business, build relationships with vendors that dealers use. Like the glass guy, or the PDR guy. They can introduce you to their contacts if they believe in you. Always show confidence when talking about your idea, even when they shoot it down.

As technology continues to take over this industry, younger people like me and you have an advantage. We are hungrier, there are less things we have to unlearn and there is time on our side. If you believe in something go for it, do not stop until you're satisfied with the amount of effort you've given.

AI will be the future, so you're on the right track.

Last edited:
Reactions: KianT
My best advice for an individual who wants to do business with dealers is to get a job within the industry. Once you get inside you'll begin to identify problems. One thing you'll notice quickly is the abysmal customer service many vendors give dealers, you can even offer the same solution with a better service or guarantee. It took me 3 years to identify and build a viable business, after two failed attempts and tens of thousands lost.

This is the route I followed, I built an online platform for selling exotic car parts. Ran that successfully for a couple of years, now I work with a major OEM overseeing and growing their parts eCommerce channels across the entire country. I also build/implement IT solutions for SMBs and a few dealers.

If you are still in the business, build relationships with vendors that dealers use. Like the glass guy, or the PDR guy. They can introduce you to their contacts if they believe in you. Always show confidence when talking about your idea, even when they shoot it down.

As technology continues to take over this industry, younger people like me and you have an advantage. We are hungrier, there are less things we have to unlearn and there is time on our side. If you believe in something go for it, do not stop until you're satisfied with the amount of effort you've given.

AI will be the future, so you're on the right track.
Mustafa, I appreciate your perspective on the topic. Closer you are to the problem, the better chance to provide a great solution. I do think with tech or general improvements in any industry, there's always a lag and thus takes some people willing to try pushing it. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Reactions: Mustafa Mustafa