• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Question for the Dealers from a Vendor?

Jlewis74

Boss
Mar 21, 2013
First Name
Jeremy
The other thread made me want to pose this question to the dealers. Just like you expect your sales people to make sales calls those of us on the vendor side are to do this as well, this means a combo of cold calls, dealership walk in cold calls and email cold calls. Which do you feel is the least intrusive to your day?

I am sure most of us feel that when we are reaching out to you its not just to make a sale but to get a better understanding of your needs and to try and help. I believe none of us set out to disrupt your day as many of us have been on your side of the desk and fully understand your day.

Reactions: 3 people
Great question Jeremy and it's one on which I (as another vendor who does cold/outbound sales) am very interested in hearing the opinions of dealers on here.

Would be great to hear about positive vendor cold calls/emails that dealers received that led on to a successful business relationship.

I appreciate that the vendor sales person has a very difficult job. I don't want to rant, but on a positive note I have been impressed a few times when someone is calling and/or emailing me and I happen to see a video pre-roll from the company not long after. It hasn't happened a lot, but when it has it very much stood out to me. Also, there are a few vendor contacts that somehow became facebook friends with and even though they never call on me they are on the forefront of my mind if their posts show a real dedication to the industry.

I appreciate that the vendor sales person has a very difficult job. I don't want to rant, but on a positive note I have been impressed a few times when someone is calling and/or emailing me and I happen to see a video pre-roll from the company not long after. It hasn't happened a lot, but when it has it very much stood out to me. Also, there are a few vendor contacts that somehow became facebook friends with and even though they never call on me they are on the forefront of my mind if their posts show a real dedication to the industry.

I agree. Most of the time these guys are trying to be helpful and trying to make a living...just like me...so I appreciate that. My ideal vendor relationships are when they drop for a minute to introduce themselves (and don't even sit down)...hand me a card, and say "Is it okay if I drop by one day next week and spend a few minutes? When is a good time?" This shows that this person is serious about my business and not just spamming dealership phone numbers off of AutoTrader.

Reactions: 2 people
My rules::rules:

1) Do some research - has the dealer used you before? If yes-why did they leave? Who do they use now? Also - make sure they don't already...use you or hate you
2) Ask for the right person
3) Establish a relationship - you know you know someone they know
4) Set a date - with time frame to chat - on the phone or in person
5) Research the person you've set the apt with - Are they a detail or big picture oriented? Are they really into the industry network, a noob, guru or oldschool?
6) Over deliver on the presentation but be under on the time set
7) Thank them sincerely
8) CARE
9) Follow up only if they asked you to.
10) Note the outcome in your own CRM so that the next person doesn't make the same mistakes if it didn't go well.

Spots may change, I like CarGurus after spending a LOT of time with they asking ton of questions and telling them why I hated them.
City Twist :rocket: still don't like them at all (and yes my GM store is flushing their money err I mean using them with no ROI)
I even took a call from a rep today from Dealer Rater. He started the conversation by saying he had been talking to Ryan about me & my dealer and wanted to reach out to offer any help he could...I took his call without issue. However the "Mrs. Wilson":badger: call from VIN didn't make it a full 45 sec. PS this isn't an invite for 50 calls :cursin:

This is a really great thread. I have yet to get into the cold calling phase of my company, but am starting to do some research on it now.

Noting the times of the month, week, even day, that dealerships are busy is also something that I have been looking into as well.

Am I just weak or what???

After chasing 50 cars a month for 20 years than becoming a vendor I no longer chase:)

I post on ADM, LinkedIn, Facebook, and dealers engage with me.
I'm always available to give them free advice and they want to know more.

Next thing you know their asking me to show them what we can do for them.

I do love walking in to dealerships and cold calling, but I just cant find the time.

We have a few reps that don't chase dealers down too:)
Help the dealers and solve some problems for them for free, It will always come back to you:)