• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Reconditioning Procedures

May 12, 2010
First Name
Brian
I was recently moved into a position at my dealership where I am going to be responsible for the reconditioning of vehicles and getting them ready for the lot. And I need help.

To optimize our facilities (body shop and service department), and to get our cars on the lot as quickly as possible, I need to develop good practices and procedures. What kind of practices do you guys use to do this?

We have a separate facility processing all recon. We track the date and time that events are completed. I.E. Smog / Safety / Detail. The list/status is available for all SM's to see. One large hurdle you may find is the fluctuation in business based on the U/C Mgr's buying habits.

It has been a few years since I have worked in a store but I always felt the best process was to have your service department or body shop give you a minimum turn time. Any car should be completed in service within 24 hours unless circumstances come up at which point any vehicle over 24 hours mush be approved by the UCM. Most people will tell you the pre owned department is services best customers. But to do this the used car department should pay retail service prices.

Once a car is completed in service it should be delivered to the detailer and completed within the same 24 hours so that your complete turn around is 48 hours once the car hits the lot.