• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Reynolds & Reynolds Contact Mangement Email Bounce back rate...

Dayna Wright

Full Sticker
Jun 6, 2011
First Name
Dayna
I hope someone can help me with this. I recently started working w/ a dealer that uses ReyRey Contact Management. I've had a lot of experience working with CRM's & I've never seen one with a bounce back rate as high as ReyRey. Never mind the amount of "undeliverable mail" we get back w/ an email blast (20%), I'm talking 8 out of 10 price quotes are going straight to the "junk" folder. I've spoken w/ Rey Rey support & they want me to send them each undeliverable mail to let them know which ISP it is & they'll try to get it Whitelisted. They are sending out 750,000 thousand emails a day & only have 4 IP addresses. There is no way I can keep up on the amount of ISP's that have them blacklisted & still have time to do my job. Of course we are locked into a lengthy contract so I'm considering trying to add another ILM like Car-Research. Does anyone have experience with this?

750,000 emails a day is 22,500,000 emails in a 30 day period. That is a lot of emails. 4 ISPs is roughly what many email service providers feel is right for a well managed list. This comes from services like MailChimp, AWeber and other popular list management services.

Unfortunately, dealers don't stick to "well managed list" principles. We don't double opt-in, we don't supply opt-out options. We usually just subscribe anyone and everyone to some sort of email marketing message and that's what gets us in trouble. I don't know how many customers Reynolds has on those 4 ISPs, but it only takes one customer per ISP to mess everyone else up. With that load of emails I bet Reynolds has teams of dedicated white list/reputation management people working 24/7 to keep the relationships clean.

This is something I wrote a while back which relates to this topic: Dealership spam and opt-in rules | DealerRefresh

Dayna, I'm brand new to the DealerRefresh Forum community. Haven't even completed my profile yet, but your issue galvanized my interest that I'm jumping in. What you bring up is extraordinary -- in terms of failed service.

In any context, any marketplace or industry, an email provider whose service 1/produces undeliverables of 20% (no way, really?) and "high" bounce backs AND 2/ where the vendor -- instead of jumping in aggressively and forthrightly to remediate and fix the problem -- instead throws it on the client to involve herself in solving their own problem ("...they want me to send them each undeliverable mail to let them know which ISP...") is no longer valid and should become null & void. You see, this type of vendor reaction is too unacceptable. What do you think Jeff?

Some Q's:
1. What has been the response from Rey & Rey?
2. Has Rey & Rey noticed your posting here on DealerRefresh of your negative experience and contacted you?
3. Have you posted your experience in other social sites or forums? My feeling is this is too serious an issue that you may want to expose for the benefit of the industry?
4. How have you positioned the issue to Rey & Rey? My feeling is that this type of extraordinarily poor performance was never disclaimed or offered as a potential outcome in their contract, making the contract null & void.

My recommendation is that you ought to involve your dealer management in approaching the vendor to cancel the arrangement all-together or get monies back based on this performance -- before moving on to another vendor. Do things in an orderly fashion -- clean house first!

My recommendation is that you ought to involve your dealer management in approaching the vendor to cancel the arrangement all-together or get monies back based on this performance -- before moving on to another vendor. Do things in an orderly fashion -- clean house first!

I bet ReyRey spends more money on lawyers than TAC personnel, and if you want to get your contract nullified you'd better lawyer up.

Caveat Emptor: I don't wish ANYONE to suffer through the ReyRey experience, but I hope Dayna's auto group learns from their mistake.

Dayna,
I appreciate you taking my call the other day and our discussion around the issue you have posted here. One of our consultants is scheduled to come in and work with you directly next week. As we discussed please feel free to contact me directly if there are concerns in the future.
Dave Bates, Vice President, Customer Support

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for all the reply's. I do want to correct a few #'s from my previous post. I meant to say that I was told that ReyRey sends out 750,000 emails a month not a day & our bounceback rate is more accurately at 30% for most of our email blasts. I want to thank Dave Bates for sending out the consultant, I'm not sure that will help our bounceback rate or not but the consultant was great & I'm sure he'll so his best.