• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Service Appointment setting?

NOSPDLIMIT

Tie Cut
Jun 29, 2014
First Name
Mike
Hello Friends,

I have been given the task of developing a position and payplan for an appointment setter for our service center. This would be a one person job.
They would set and follow up with our service appointments and call missed appointments. I would like to know how other dealerships handle this type of position.

Any thoughts or suggestion would be great!!

Thanks
Mike

Mike. First of all, good idea. Service appointment setters really help take phone pressure off of the advisors. The payplan should be kept really simple, an hourly job with bonus or spiff built around RO dollars or time. A per appointment spiff may be ok, just depends on your volume.

The Service Appointment aetter's shift starts early when service opens. Missed apt calls and closed RO calls need to be attempted during the off peak hours for incoming calls, usually 10-12 in the morning. If they are in early, like 7 AM, they will likely be off at 3:30 or 4:00. 2:00 - 3:00 can be soft but in some stores you see a lot of customers calling to see if their car is done.

If this person is making RO calls for CSI and next service appointment, they should also be taught to follow up with customers who decline service. Customers decline based on time or money and another decision maker. Coupons, shuttle service help recapture declined service. The declined service call should happen within 48 hours.

Most service appointment setters work in the DMS. But using texting and email from a good CRM solution will make them more effective and efficient.

Hope this helps....

Greg provided you with some great advice. I would also add that you need the correct amount of staff. How many customer pay and warranty repair orders does your store generate per month? With that data you can back into a number for the amount of employees you will need in the department. Also, many of the CRM's today import service data and you may be able to use that to schedule calls and follow up emails. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 person
Mike, We just set up a Service BDC for our Buick GMC store. I'm not familiar with VW, do you know how your averages stack up with other like stores in your area?
Also are you looking at having them only set only on inbound calls or also try to create business for your service department based on relationship development of your current customer base?
Currently, the 2 people we hired are only making out bound calls on outstanding recalls and pre-paid maintenance. They will be doing service interval follow up starting next month and hopefully moving into taking overflow calls to set inbound appointments as well.They are paid much like my sales BDC with an hourly rate, commission by tiers levels for number of shown appointments (non retro with an increasing amount) and with each tier having an increasing bonus tied to percent of work (minimum standards) completed vs number of hours worked. They are paid as a team on shown appointments, the latter insures everyone pulls their own weight.

Greg, you had mentioned that service appointment setters should be off by 2 or 3. As you're with a phone vendor, do you have any research that shows the most productive times for service calls? I know that Mike is looking at more inbound appointments, however I' would like to see if there is a difference between in and out bound in regards to timeframe. This happens to be our current topic in setting up our new department. With outbound calls being our primary contact right now, I was thinking having 2 shifts so that the calls returned after customer were off work would be productive. There are various opinions inside our dealer and I'd like to see what you have found.