• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Social Media Manager Salary?

Jason

Boss
Dec 22, 2009
Awards
First Name
Jason
Good Morning All!

First off, I want to say that these forums have been such a fountain of great information, I can't tell you how happy I am to have found them. Secondly, I hope I am posting this question in the most appropriate section of the forums.

So here's the scoop. The Auto Group I work for currently consists of 4 separate stores, and will be adding 2 more within the year. They have further plans to aggressively expand beyond that. They are finally ready to fully embrace social media and realize that they need a full time Social Media Manager to create & maintain content on the usual sites as well as get the jump on online reputation management, video production, stay on top of tech, and so on. So the question is, as a full time job, working traditional sales hours, jumping between 4 to 6 stores each week, what kind of salary would this position dictate?

Any insights or advice you can pass along would be extremely helpful. Thanks for your time, and I look forward to your responses!

Jason Stum

what kind of salary would this position dictate?

If I was hiring for this position I would look for a young professional with a degree in marketing. I'd then figure out the persons prior pay history and make an offer in that range. I would think I could find a good candidate for 45K or less. That's just my opinion of course. Alex would be a good one to answer this question. Of course pay for him comes in the form of fast luxury automobiles.

Last edited:
Alex would be a good one to answer this question. Of course pay for him comes in the from of fast luxury automobiles.

Checkered Flag is a good place to work :thumbup: ....and the pay is good too ;)

I would pair a social media position with a content writing position. If it were me, I would hire someone hourly to start - someone part time. Probably someone from a nearby college who is specializing in a Communications, Journalism, or some sort of writing degree. I would pay whatever is right for your market along the lines of what a college student would usually get for a part time job. The benefit of not flipping burgers or bagging groceries is a huge one for any college student!

Then, based on what you develop through that person, you will have a better idea of how to custom fit a full-time person if you then decide to go that route. It took me over 2 years to figure it out, and was lucky to have Christine around to help me with it.