• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

PR & News Tesla Cybertruck sells for $244,000 at used-car auction

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
Tesla Cybertruck sells for $244,000 at used-car auction

A barely used Tesla Cybertruck sold for $244,000 after a brief bidding war, more than double the new price for the Foundation Series models that the automaker is trickling out to a massive backlog of reservation holders, according to a livestream of the auction.

Bidding on the stainless-steel pickup with 69 miles on its odometer started at $200,000 during the Manheim auction Wednesday and quickly rose $220,000 before bidding slowed down and focused on three bidders — Atlanta Autos, Ocean Mazda and Porsche South Orlando. The Porsche dealer submitted the winning bid.

Porsche South Orlando didn't respond to a request for comment.

The Foundation Series pickup starts at $102,235 with shipping, according to the Cybertruck Owners Club forum, where some owners have posted details of their purchases. Tesla hasn't said how many Foundation Series pickups it will make. The early versions are $20,000 more expensive than regular Cybertrucks but have more features.

An industry analyst who posts on the X platform under the name Car Dealership Guy said the auctioned Cybertruck was the first that he knew of. "I wonder what the buyer will price it at," wrote analyst Yossi Levi, CEO of the Car Dealership Guy brand. His X account has nearly 450,000 followers.

On Cybertruck online forums and on X, there was speculation about why a dealer would pay double for an early version of the pickup, given uncertainly over whether Foundation Series trucks will be rare and appreciate in value. Some suggested it could bring foot traffic to the dealership or be sold to a high-profile client.

Among the celebrities seen driving a Cybertruck were reality-show personality Kim Kardashian, film director Spike Lee, tennis star Serena Williams and musician Pharrell Williams.

Tesla launched Cybertruck production in late November at its plant in Austin, Texas.

Some Tesla fans also posted the automaker's policy toward resale of Cybertrucks to prevent "flipping," or buying the vehicle with the intention of immediately selling it for a profit. Tesla's policy states that selling before a year of ownership can incur a $50,000 penalty or more depending on the resale price.

The anti-flipping clause was removed in November but returned in December, Tesla fans said on forums.

Tesla does not have a media office and as of late Wednesday, Tesla CEO Elon Musk had not commented on the Cybertruck auction on the X platform, which he owns.

Tesla has not said how many Cybertruck reservation-holders are waiting in line, but unofficial crowd-sourced estimates put the number at over 1 million, which would equal several years of production.

Tesla fan Matthew Donegan-Ryan, who posts Tesla-related content on X, said he didn't expect to see many used sales of Cybertruck pickups given that sellers could be sued by Tesla for flipping. Donegan-Ryan posted a video of the auction along with his commentary Wednesday on X.

"If you're buying a Cybertruck, I highly recommend not trying to sell it because you definitely don't want to faceoff against Tesla lawyers," he said.

Full Article:

On Cybertruck online forums and on X, there was speculation about why a dealer would pay double for an early version of the pickup, given uncertainly over whether Foundation Series trucks will be rare and appreciate in value. Some suggested it could bring foot traffic to the dealership or be sold to a high-profile client.
Fortune favors the bold. I can say this phrase again now that Bitcoin is back over 60K.

Just rode in the Cybertruck yesterday. One of the dads at my kids school works for Tesla and has the first one in Chicago. I wouldn't pay $100k for one, but I've got to say product and engineering wise - it's really cool. The steer by wire is pretty cool, I didn't drive it, but seeing the truck do a 360 turn with the steering wheel only at 90 degrees was neat. All 4 wheels turn. Air suspension was really cool as the ride quality was very premium. The quality of the sound system really surprised me. Then the acceleration was the most surprising. We didn't have a ton of room but it's a torque monster. Quickest truck I've been in and I've been in some chipped turbo diesel's. I think the specs on it are 0-60 in 2.6s. I can't get over the different of how they look in real life vs behind a camera. Every person we drove by had their phone out. Don't really get that with any other brand. Well worth the hype. If I could afford it I'd order one!

Reactions: BillKVMotorCo
Just rode in the Cybertruck yesterday. One of the dads at my kids school works for Tesla and has the first one in Chicago. I wouldn't pay $100k for one, but I've got to say product and engineering wise - it's really cool. The steer by wire is pretty cool, I didn't drive it, but seeing the truck do a 360 turn with the steering wheel only at 90 degrees was neat. All 4 wheels turn. Air suspension was really cool as the ride quality was very premium. The quality of the sound system really surprised me. Then the acceleration was the most surprising. We didn't have a ton of room but it's a torque monster. Quickest truck I've been in and I've been in some chipped turbo diesel's. I think the specs on it are 0-60 in 2.6s. I can't get over the different of how they look in real life vs behind a camera. Every person we drove by had their phone out. Don't really get that with any other brand. Well worth the hype. If I could afford it I'd order one!
Great info! I've always thought the torque would be the thing that converted customers who might be on the fence about EV.

Reactions: Chris Cachor