• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Christopher Reggie

Rust & Dust
Jul 31, 2019
Awards
First Name
Christopher
Hold onto your driving caps, folks, because Tesla is not just zipping ahead in the electric vehicle race – it's leaving its competitors in the dust and waving them goodbye with a cheerful honk! We're not talking about a regular victory lap here; we're talking about Tesla outselling Toyota like it's a walk in the park – or should I say, a smooth drive on an electric highway. ⚡️

digital 1 .jpg

And wait for it; there's more shock value than a static electricity experiment at a science fair: Rivian is practically giving Land Rover a run for its posh SUV money. I mean, who would've thought? It's like David and Goliath, but with electric motors and futuristic designs.

Hold the steering wheel of astonishment because the land of palm trees and Hollywood glitz, California, is putting its eco-friendly foot down. It's been ahead of the game in electric vehicles since before it was cool, like that friend who starts a trend and then patiently watches everyone else catch up.

But let's talk Tesla – the reigning champ of California's auto scene, a bit like that cool kid at school who everyone wants to sit next to at lunch. With the capacity to churn out electric vehicles faster than you can say "supercharging station," many thought Tesla would have California wrapped around its charging cable. But guess what? The electric car titan is still on the growth highway, zooming ahead like it's got an extra boost from a secret stash of lightning bolts.

Screenshot-2023-07-25-at-2.59.49-PM.jpg

The California New Car Dealers Association recently spilled the beans in their Q2 2023 California Auto Outlook report, and oh boy, Tesla's performance is making records shatter like a pinata at a birthday party. The golden trophies of Tesla's showroom? The Model 3 and Model Y are not just leading the pack – they're lapping the competition. It's like watching a rabbit race against a tortoise; only the rabbit has four wheels and a battery pack.

Hold onto your seatbelts because Toyota, that longtime superstar, just had its crown temporarily swiped by Tesla. I can almost hear the gasps and tire screeches from here. Tesla strutted its stuff with over 69,000 units sold, while Toyota's in the rearview mirror with around 67,000 units. It's a battle of the Titans, like two heavyweight champions duking it out in a boxing ring... but on wheels.

Screenshot-2023-07-25-at-2.49.00-PM.jpg

And here's the electric cherry on top – Tesla's setting the wheels in motion to push battery-electric vehicles into the spotlight. Those sleek, plug-in wonders are breaking away from the pack like a racehorse with a rocket booster. Who needs gas guzzlers when you've got batteries that purr like kittens and leave the competition in a cloud of dust?

So there you have it, folks – California's not just leading the electric vehicle revolution; it's driving the revolution bus and honking the horn all the way to the future. Let's just hope that future has more autopilot and fewer traffic jams!

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
If you look at my post history, you may think I am competing for most miserable personal in existence. In reality I really enjoy playing devil's advocate, I swear.

Why are so many California's buying Teslas? Why not just wait for Elon's hyperloop to be completed? /s

While I do think it is surprising to see these numbers, I wonder how many of their sales end up being situations like these crazy tax credit stacking where you are getting a vehicle with an MSRP of $41,880 (from my understanding, I might be off) for $26k (tax included, I think?).

In situations like I linked above, in my opinion it's a no brainer to buy a Tesla over it's "equivalent" Toyota version. If I lived in California and could benefit from the rebates / tax credits, I would (but that's a whole other conversation for me).

I do think it's a little disingenuous make a blanket statement based on the sales in a single state without mentioning the bigger numbers for all of the US which are...

ManufacturerQ2 2023Q2 2022
Tesla172,999118,700
Toyota558,048483,557

Source

If you look at my post history, you may think I am competing for most miserable personal in existence. In reality I really enjoy playing devil's advocate, I swear.

Why are so many California's buying Teslas? Why not just wait for Elon's hyperloop to be completed? /s

While I do think it is surprising to see these numbers, I wonder how many of their sales end up being situations like these crazy tax credit stacking where you are getting a vehicle with an MSRP of $41,880 (from my understanding, I might be off) for $26k (tax included, I think?).

In situations like I linked above, in my opinion it's a no brainer to buy a Tesla over it's "equivalent" Toyota version. If I lived in California and could benefit from the rebates / tax credits, I would (but that's a whole other conversation for me).

I do think it's a little disingenuous make a blanket statement based on the sales in a single state without mentioning the bigger numbers for all of the US which are...

ManufacturerQ2 2023Q2 2022
Tesla172,999118,700
Toyota558,048483,557

Source
One other thing to keep in mind regarding the tax credit, especially in the higher cost-of-living areas of California, is the $150k income limit ($300k for married couples). It would be interesting to see stats on the percentage of customers that don't qualify for the $7,500 tax credit.

:D no worries (y)

DealerRefresh hates spammers and silences those jerks! We love rational conversation and opinions that present multiple sides of the argument. Keep being the devil's advocate - Jeff and I love a contrary opinion.