• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Text Marketing - anyone using this?

Ashton526

Push Start
Feb 25, 2010
First Name
Ashton

MESSAGE: "Find your Mazda now @ www.yourdealership.com. FWD msg to a friend. If they buy u get $250, friend gets $100 gas card. Show this msg @ any Austin store 4 details." - actual text example

Personally, I would get really annoyed if I started getting a bunch of unsolicited texts like the one above. My GM wanted me to look into it.

The company is Dealer Specialties and it's called DS2Go Opportunities. They say that the primary benefits are mobile web inventory search/sites and SMS marketing.

Has anyone used this company and this product? What kind of results? If not, what are your thoughts on text marketing?

There is much confusion around the entire topic of mobile text marketing. I am hoping I can help clarify some of the key rules and marketing benefits in all text marketing programs, including the Dealer Specialties DS2Go product.

No retailer should, or is allowed, to send ‘unsolicited text messages’ to a consumer. That ill-advised practice is considered spam and that retailer could face FCC fines, as a result.

Text SMS marketing is not about sending unsolicited text messages to consumers. Text SMS marketing, like the DS2GO product, is about advertising ‘keywords’ and consumers responding to that keyword advertising by texting in for information to that short code number. In return, that consumer receives the anticipated text response message with information they are interested in.

In the example provided, it appears this dealer advertised a keyword for a promotional offer, and a consumer would need to text in that keyword which allows, and invites, that dealer to respond with the text marketing message, i.e. receive $250 if a friend buys, and your friend receives $100. There was an invite and a response. No spam issue.

If a friend forwards that message to a friend, it extends outside the commercial text messaging arena and any FCC reach. That text message is between two friends.

So, basically it is like the ringtone commercials on TV that get you to text the "keyword" to receive the ringtone? Only, with this, your company captures the cell number and begins the marketing campaign by sending texts of dealer specials, etc.

If you are going to get into the txt scene, it needs to directly tie I to your mobile website.

Text keyword to 223454 - from here the customer would receive a text with the offer and a link to the mobile website.

Window stickers - text M3342 (stock number) to 223454 for more information on this car. This would initiate a text with with a link to your mobile website for more information and photos.

From the stats I've seen over the cast few years. I didn't and still don't see people using this service to the degree to honestly worry about it. I would try it out with a few promos here and there while measuring success, offering the customer some type of incentive or text mobile coupon. I had done that in the past the numbers were not impressive.

Myself - I have never answered to a text keyword campaign from a contest, window sticker nor promotion on tv of any such.

I'd much rather promote the mobile site and have a keyword seach on the mobile site for incentives. Maybe someday we will finally see the rise of the QR code. That where I think it's at.

If you are going to get into the txt scene, it needs to directly tie I to your mobile website.

Text keyword to 223454 - from here the customer would receive a text with the offer and a link to the mobile website.

Window stickers - text M3342 (stock number) to 223454 for more information on this car. This would initiate a text with with a link to your mobile website for more information and photos.

From the stats I've seen over the cast few years. I didn't and still don't see people using this service to the degree to honestly worry about it. I would try it out with a few promos here and there while measuring success, offering the customer some type of incentive or text mobile coupon. I had done that in the past the numbers were not impressive.

Myself - I have never answered to a text keyword campaign from a contest, window sticker nor promotion on tv of any such.

I'd much rather promote the mobile site and have a keyword seach on the mobile site for incentives. Maybe someday we will finally see the rise of the QR code. That where I think it's at.

I'm with you. I think go codes are sort of a workaround for people who don't have mobile websites.

What makes more sense?

Go to mykcford.com on your mobile device OR text FORD to 63236 and it sends you a text to a link to some special URL?

Of course if makes sense to just advertise to go to mykcford.com on your PC, iPad, or iPhone and the site just works!

I can see using go codes for promotional offers though. Like a free oil change if you text OIL to whatever... But if you are going to advertise that, you could do the same thing on your website and make people fill out a form of some sorts to get the coupon so you capture their info.

Last edited:
Texting auto shoppers requires restraint and a personal message (think sniper, not carpet bombing).

Here's a Lead generator on my "to do" list that has the magical WIFM:

On the VDP*, the message reads something like: "Send me a Text if this price drops below $_____"

*Vehicle Detail Page

Last edited:
Texting can work very well if you build up your mobile list properly. Think of the service side of things for a second.

Let's say your service department was really dead and it's Tuesday at noon. Send out a text to your entire mobile club list saying "The first 5 people to come into Dealer ABC can take 50% off any service work. Expires at 3:00 pm today!"

If someone's driving around and needs an oil change and can now get it for half off, they'll definitely consider stopping in. It's a great way to fill up your service bays instantly. This is just one application that I've seen work in the texting realm.