• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

The age-old challenge: tracking dealer tags!

Billfred

Boss
Oct 20, 2009
First Name
Billfred
I realize this is about as Ye Olde School as it gets, but I imagine everyone's encountered this problem: dealer tags.

Salesmen have them, managers have multiples, DT drivers borrow them, salesmen dehorse people, and they start growing three-hundred-bucks-to-replace legs.

We have a KeyTrak system; I know they've got a drawer that holds ten tags and some keys, but I imagine we can get something workable for less than the $5,500 or so they quoted. Stashing them with the receptionist isn't really workable for us; we've got them doing a lot in multiple locations.

Short of financial penalties for losing them, how does your dealership handle this? Is there some product out there for making the checkout process easier?

I had all my salesmen/managers sign out tags, tape their business cards on back and if they got lost they paid to replace them. Same policy for the DT or any other person who needed a tag. Sign them out and if you do not sign it back in you buy it.

We had way to many being replaced and this seemed to fixed it. Only had to bill one DT person and the message got across.

We have a keytrac system and it is amazing. Ours will hold about 480 keys 240 per drawer and you sign in with a finger print. So unless someone chops off a finger you can only get in with your own. If one goes missing just type in stock number and it says who has them. Great System!

We implemented a inhouse test drive/key tracker system.
Reception ensures the dplate is signed out or keys and if test drive or 'getting gas' type thing
System badgers the rep by text and email after an hour to return the plate/keys
End of day report sent out to all managers if all returned or something still missing
Lastly you can export to excel to review with a rep if you like

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 7.33.40 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 7.33.40 AM.png
    465.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 7.33.30 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 7.33.30 AM.png
    464.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 7.33.24 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 7.33.24 AM.png
    494.2 KB · Views: 6