• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

The Value of a Domain Name

I'm frankly surprised to hear similar attitudes coming from some car guys here.

Certainly not a matter of giving up profit, if your relationship is on solid ground why not rent it out.... given the situation all available reasoning leads me to believe as a dealer there's no way I want to be doing ongoing business with a former employee who I've let go. I'd do anything I could to cut the strings which if a domain of value could be considered a string you'd be taking the profitable route by acting on what you can while you have the chance.

It's not like the domain is "THAT" great or you'd have mentioned the incredible traffic and lead counts generated on it. Personally, I'd be ecstatic to generate a grand selling it.

Certainly not a matter of giving up profit, if your relationship is on solid ground why not rent it out.... given the situation all available reasoning leads me to believe as a dealer there's no way I want to be doing ongoing business with a former employee who I've let go. I'd do anything I could to cut the strings which if a domain of value could be considered a string you'd be taking the profitable route by acting on what you can while you have the chance.

It's not like the domain is "THAT" great or you'd have mentioned the incredible traffic and lead counts generated on it. Personally, I'd be ecstatic to generate a grand selling it.

I have learned over the years to not tell everything you know about something. It's a great URL and I will never sell it (well, never say never). If nothing else it would be a great portal site URL.

Lookup "houston dodge dealer" in Google, it's #9 then click on it, same thing.

Maybe I can be enlightened but I'm not sure a 3 word URL is all that valuable. Is there a that much weight placed on the words within the url? If so could the dealer not buy dodgehoustondealer.com for 9.95/yr? It's available.

I could see if there was something on the site other then a for sale notice there would be some value to a dealer but I could be ignorant to the value of the words and placement within the URL. Anyone know how much this affects the SEO of a site?

Before I get jumped on I definitely understand the value of a url containing geographic area, and a make and that "dealer" is included on the higher volume search terms but am seriously asking if the words can't be jumbled around and regardless of the URL could you not spend a few hours to optimize "NewYorkHondaDealer.com" to rank higher given the lack of content currently on the site?

The url has been around for a few years. It was an active site until about 45 days ago. Just commenting on the stickiness of the postioning.

It needs to be used quickly or it will go begin to drop, but due to the history it will do well still unlike a new domain.