• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Those toll free numbers on websites...

May 29, 2018
Awards
First Name
Todd
It could be just me.. but using the provided tracking numbers website providers jam down the dealer's throats on their sites always gets me wondering:
Wouldn't the user much prefer to see the numbers with a local area code? Get the feeling I'm calling some india call centre with those generic triple 8 type numbers. I know its much easier for the site provider to use tollfree since allocating area code specific numbers can be more of a pain. So works well for them at least.

I'm willing to bet people are more inclined to dial numbers that seem local then timbuktu. And don't forget... you switch providers, those numbers go away. Hopefully they aren't indexed somewhere.

So you can get your own numbers and call track those. That is an option for sure. Or ask yourself.. how often are you REALLY listening to all those calls? Is it worth it compared to showing your actual store numbers? Everyone says they do listen, few actually do.

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 1.04.05 PM.png

Local typically costs more but I agree you're right. I think for the sake of measuring everything we've gone to far to have so many different numbers spanning across every point possible.

Perhaps ensure your higher value / volume #s are either legit 800s or local. When you see weird variants it feels tacky like I'm calling an ip address or something.

I've been challenging the consumer perception of a number type for a while...but more in an outbound effort from businesses.

I'm sure a study could be done for the effect of the number type when inbounding to business, but I'm still not convinced it matters.

If you want to reach out, you will reach out.

If the business gives enough value for you to want to connect, the number (and experience that follows) shouldn't hold a consumer up.

Personally, I have not given pause to a toll-free number.

Extremely small sample size below, but it's worth noting the only responses that demanded a local number were dealers.

1703214924794.png

My own provider.. twilio, its a dollar per month. Tollfree two dollars.
I've been challenging the consumer perception of a number type for a while...but more in an outbound effort from businesses.

I'm sure a study could be done for the effect of the number type when inbounding to business, but I'm still not convinced it matters.

If you want to reach out, you will reach out.

If the business gives enough value for you to want to connect, the number (and experience that follows) shouldn't hold a consumer up.

Personally, I have not given pause to a toll-free number.

Extremely small sample size below, but it's worth noting the only responses that demanded a local number were dealers.

View attachment 8359
seems a bit misleading: assuming you want the call is a different beast. The question seems to indicate you know the number and do you care if it’s a toll free number calling. Likelihood of picking up the number when it’s on your call display showing toll free I bet is way less. Like zero. Hardly anyone picks up a call they don’t recognize. Less a spammy looking toll free I suspect

Reactions: jscole86
The poll was focused more on SMS.

The idea is that if you are receiving a text message from a business that you expect, is relevant, and personal then the number type shouldn't matter.

Picking up a call is another topic. One I would lean on SMS to tee up.

To speak to your original post here, it is solely my opinion that if a dealership is showing a TFN on their website or google listing I would not hesitate to reach out based on that.