• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Tools to Post inventory to WordPress (or similar)

Instead of setting up a word press blog, why not just get a second website? I think most website providers can do tons of things word press can't do and have a lot more control of it. They can provide mini-sites on their platforms.

What is the big difference?

People do it because word press is almost free?

I think it's a little more then just "almost free" although that's certainly a big plus. It's fast, easy and has a lot of baked in features.

Although we haven't been able to do it because there's been no inventory, the combination of almost free and easy to publish new sites on the fly is compelling. I'd love to be able to generate an ever growing network of sites if they can be updated regularly at a cost of the inventory plug in and a negligible hosting fee of a couple hundred bucks a year. (if that)

I must say the more that WordPress evolves and the more we learn on how to utilize it's potential the more excited I get. Our inventory can be displayed in Blogger and other platforms as well, but WordPress is by far the one that has the most potential.

Interested to hear what you see as the main potentials in wordpress over other sites and/or platforms?

Mitch, your right there is just a little more to WordPress than just "almost free". Some of the potentials of WordPress over other platforms stem from its tremendous user base and the fact that it is open source. Those two factors mean that individual programmers and companies will continue to add quality functionality to this already function rich platform. There are currently over 9000 different plugins available, and let's say less that 10% are useful and well supported that is still well more than even the largest automotive web vendor could provide. It's also is a testing ground for new marketing techniques and tools. Just out of curiosity I did a search for Foursquare since it is the new "hot" thing, and there are already three plugins available to add to a WordPress website if you wanted to do so. We all know that the automotive industry has been well behind the curve when it comes to Internet marketing and utilizing WordPress as a web publishing platform changes that completely. When you combined that with an inventory module designed for SEO and it is a very powerful formula.

By the way if anyone is going to be in Orlando for DD8 I will be doing a session on WordPress as a micro-site or website platform and would love to talk about it more with you.

Joe, At the risk of sounding like pure advertising, which I am not. There is a platform that will handle the CMS blog style that you are talking about in Word Press, do it dynamically, and import csv then publish to a web blog as inventory. It is low cost, and very user friendly. We call it ANT.

Reactions: 1 person