• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Trying To Decide Between Insurance Claim Or Paying Out Of Pocket

bringles

Just Get'm In
Apr 17, 2013
Awards
First Name
Erik
I bumped into someone in one of my dealership's cars. I am trying to decide between paying out of pocket or sending it through my insurance policy. I have been licensed for about 6 years with no prior cliams. Here are the two options. I would appreciate any advice on the best course to take. My agent said the insurance company would most likely not raise my premium, but no guarantees on that.

Pay out of pocket:
The damage was minor (none to my car). The person got a quote for $800 to fix the bumper. They also want me to either pay for a rental car or provide a loaner car while their car is being fixed.

Use Insurance:
$250 deductible and possibility of premium going up

Any advice from dealers who have been through this situation before would be much appreciated. I am leaning towards paying out of pocket.

Erik

Your insurance premium may go up either way. The reason that you have insurance is so that you are protected against things exactly like this.

I doubt that this little claim is going to effect your premium, but don't be afraid to just call your agent or the claims department and ask them.