• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Turning around a dying dealership in 2 to 3 months

Your used inventory is located down the street, correct? Is that a separate operation?

I guess my question is, are you supposed to 'turn the operation around' based on new Mitsu sales?

Hey Ed, Jordan hasn't checked in for several days. I see that he or someone has been working on their website with a few minor changes so far.

Yes, Jordan has New Mitsubishi vehicles to sell. That is it. His group runs their entire used car operation as a separate location that basically sits between their franchise stores.

Jordon, I work extensively with Mitsubishi stores. I have some that are selling a ton of cars (#1 Outlander Sport Dealer in the country 1400 new cars a year), one who is consistently between 25-45 and another who is struggling but has a solid used car operation. I am very happy to help you in any way possible. Obviously, Mitsubishi is a push brand. There are not a ton of people online searching for the car. The consumer mostly stumbles across it. So it is critical that you are always comparing the product to a competitor. Compare Outlander Sport to Rav 4. The first thing you need to do is make sure your inventory is on point. Outlander Sport will be your volume product. Outlander and Mirage are secondary and will fluctuate based on the market. Then you need to think about your pricing strategy and what you comparable competitors are offering. In Minnesota, the retail/pricing strategy will change based on the season. Sport and Mirage are always the focus, in the winter we will price an AWD option for under 20K and $189 Mo and the remaining part of the year we will offer a FWD for under 16K or a $99 mo lease. All year long we have a Mirage DE Manual for $9,999 and either a $69 or $49 mo lease.We always offer a sale price and a lease. Very seldom do those cars ever sell because the dealership has a very clear sales process to sell the consumer into a car with more options. The gross is tough on all New Mitsubishi product. Make sure you have strong F&I and then chase your dealer cash. Learn your coop!! I cannot stress this enough. Mitsubishi has the most aggressive coop program in the country. If you need some help understanding it, contact me. Once you are ready to market, direct marketing is the first place to start. Solidify that base. Database, fully developed retail site, on point. 3rd parties, SEM, retargeting, social, email marketing and direct mail. From there kill it in execution. Consistency is key. The Mitsubishi consumer still responds to traditional media and very much so responds to the car when it is seen at events. Getting the car in front of people at local events is critical. I call it the "butts in seats" campaign. Many people don't know what the product looks like, once they see it, you have a shot at getting it on the shopping lists. I can go on and on... Please let me know if there are areas you would like me to elaborate on and I will be happy to do so.

Reactions: joe.pistell
Hi jordan - wow man sounds like you have your work cut out for you. I have experience being the director of marketing for two Mitsubishi franchises in Massachusetts but did/do around 20 - 30 new per month.

I've done some research around your location and I think I might be able to show you some areas where simple seo and sem changes would deliver great short and long term gains. I'd be willing to set you up pro bono just to get you back on your feet.

I have a soft spot for helping people in underdog situations. PM me if you want to talk.

Good luck either way

Reactions: David Johnson
Hi Jordan,

Been a while since I've hopped on Dealer Refresh, but I saw your post this evening and couldn't resist.

Reason being, I also broke into Management with the opportunity to run a tiny underperforming store in a large dealer group. Our used car department was a separate location as well. It was slightly larger than what you're describing, averaging in the low- mid teens per month. Long story short, we broke into the 40's and 50's on a regular basis in less than 2 years. No matter how daunting the task may feel, hang in there, it's worth it!

Fair warning, what I'm about to suggest is going to be terribly oversimplified or else I'd have to type a novel. They're in no particular order and can be placed into 2 categories.

1. Digital.

*Youtube Capture. Do short walk around videos of your new car inventory in advance and upload them on you own Mitsu youtube channel. When an e-lead comes in, send the link to the one (or the closest match) they're interested in. Create a virtual tour of your dealership, your service drive and most importantly, you. Anything and everything your customers are wondering about can be addressed using this simple tool. More examples of this are mentioned below.

*Be the first to respond 24/7. Shut off all your auto responses and templates. Why have an auto response saying you're closed at 3:00am when most people are aware of this. Instead, try sending a short email from your cell when you wake up. Make a joke about it "You caught me sleeping last night, but I'll be back to the dealership shortly" Whatever it is, you're unique, show them. For example, when a lead comes in during normal business hours, send them an immediate "I just received your request for xyz price, availability, information etc. and am gathering that info now. I'm also going to take a short walk around video so you can get a better look. You should see everything in your inbox in about 15 minutes, but I'll give you a call to make sure it went though" Do Not say things like "If you need anything, please else let me know" because you'll be the blue guy in the corner holding your breath 99% of the time. Plus you're placing the burden of follow up on your customer.

*Be interesting. Have a picture of yourself and a video link introducing yourself in your email signature for new leads. Have a video of you explaining your why buy message on your website. Why should anyone care? Why should they buy from you? What are some points of pain in the Mitsu world you can solve for people? Concierge test drives? Express delivery options? Service advantages? Everyone is the biggest, the best, the cheapest, family owned, so spare your customers the white noise and DO NOT USE SALESY LANGUAGE!!!

*Add real value. Post actual comments in your new car descriptions instead of just vin decoded nonsense. No one reads that garbage. Some people make the mistake of thinking that adding real comments only helps with used cars, but its great for new cars too. List the packages, features, anything that makes that car hot. Include an example lease/finance option for that exact car. Since you don't do used cars, have a "good, better, best" price range for that model perhaps.

To sum up Digital in a sentence, "Learn to love custom video content"

2. Owner base

*You mentioned that you saw an award for 25 years of service. That means you're in a unique position to now have 100% of 25 years worth of orphaned owners! Create a mailer to introduce yourself as their go to guy for anything Mitsu. At the very least create an email blast with a youtube video to send previous owners.

*See if your other stores are using any equity mining tools and work the crap out of it. Work with your pre-owned managers to create soft offers for service customers to simply purchase their vehicle. It's a great way to meet your current owner base without trying to sell them anything if done correctly. Get up early and hang out in the service drive. Sucks getting up early, but the rewards are amazing.

If you've been keeping track of how much all of these ideas cost, you'll notice a trend. They don't cost anything other than your time and commitment to really own your place in the market. When people think Mitsubishi within 100 miles of your store, you're face needs to pop into their head like a light bulb. I'm sure you could try to hire or pay someone to do the things mentioned and before long it may make more sense to do so. In my case, our 1 sales person soon became 2, then 3, then 4 sales, then we even got our own dedicated finance manager (thank the lord).

You have an awesome opportunity and I'll be pulling for you. The fact that you're already on here looking for advice means you're headed in the right direction. Good luck!

I'd do a hyper analysis of your traditional and digital marketing strategy, if I were you.

Digital-Marketing-Strategy-2015-700x435.png

http://www.smartinsights.com/digita...l-framework-to-improve-your-digital-marketing

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. The last 2 weeks of February were busy. For the first time in a year the store did 8 vehicles. The last day of the month an hour before close I had a customer who I made a good deal with in order to hit the CUV objective and get us some money from Mitsubishi.

I have indeed created some new material in order for my website to get some character @Tallcool1. It's being implemented slowly but surely. They did add warranty badges on my vehicle display pages. I made sure they were red and gave the page some much needed color. The top header should be updated in time also. I'll attach some mock up's I created so dealer.com would know exactly what I'm looking to accomplish for everyone to give ideas and suggestions.

The website since being placed on google maps seems to have a steady increase in traffic. From averaging about 350 views a month to tracking 1,000 a month now. It hit 1,000 last month and seems it will again this month if not more.

I sold the 8 last month and almost sold out of my inventory. Mitsubishi Outlander and Sport have a 2 month order so Everything I had ordered when arriving won't be here any time soon. I also came down to only two mirages left. I sold 2 of the 4 I had this month already. I heard a nearby dealer in Louisiana was shutting down the Mitsubishi side of things and I reached out. I was able to pickup about 7 Outlanders and 1 2015 Sport. They arrived last week along with my 6 2016 Sports that were ordered before me. I also traded 10 Mirage's from the same dealer that should be here today. Mirage orders are over so I wouldn't have any coming until July when the 2017 arrives so hopefully the 10 plus my 2 will help hold me until then.

The showroom is finally done. New ceiling, paint, and the floors were buffed and waxed again. I also have these tropical plants or rather tree's! They will paint the outside of the building white at some point soon. In other words the dealership looks more and more like a dealership everyday. I have some much needed inventory on the lot.

@Chris Pyle you gave some good information on things I really didn't look at. I didn't notice my vehicles weren't pulling package codes. That's because we never actually input them before. I'm now in the process of making sure that gets done on all vehicles. I have tried the video thing here and it never really seems to work in my market I believe. I have tried a few times to get it going but nobody really viewed or was interested in it.

I do need to tackle the 24/7 response subject here shortly because what is happening now just doesn't cut it. Also, as far as my owner base all my email blast go to 40k plus customers. I have access to email Chevrolet and Subaru customers from our CRM so it's a nice perk.

I can't think of anything else to say at the moment. I typed this up a few days ago and my browser crashed and lost it all so I finally got around to typing this up. I also managed to sell a car today half way through typing this!

Thanks,

Jordan

Attachments

• warrantysitemockup.jpg
    warrantysitemockup.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 8
  • additionalDiscountsexample.jpg
    additionalDiscountsexample.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 9
  • bryanmitsubishiwebsitemockup.jpg
    bryanmitsubishiwebsitemockup.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for the update Jordan and congrats on your progress!

Been wondering how you were making out, great to hear things are heading in the right direction. Can't sell an empty parking spot, so creatively souring all of those extra units was clutch!

Keep plugging away at the paint, the pixels and the processes the way you have been and you'll take that store to places they've only dreamed of.

Keep in touch!

Chris