• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Using eBay for more than just wholesale

Accessorized Rides

Back in 06, we stepped wayyy up to a 3meg camera. Woa, that was high def! Web images for the most part are low def. This old camera put out some nice shots!

I picked a a bunch of units, accessorized them and took some real nice shots.

2007 Avalanche
2007 Avalanche (nick named this one Night Train)
http://dealerclearanceservices.com/bresee3/id355.htm
http://dealerclearanceservices.com/bresee3/hhr_2.htm (haha the low budget video was cutting edge back then!)

When it sold, I changed the VIN, used the same pics and relisted it.

cha ching!

Last edited:
At the cost per vehicle on eBay I think it is best to find a niche and/or only put up unique vehicles. Your niche would have to have enough margin to make it worth your while. You also have to think about shipping arrangements, working with out of state banks/customers, etc.

Craigslist is a far better resource for local auto dealers. You can test out as much inventory and A/B testing as you want. Just make sure to keep the quality of the listings up.

I saw this old eBay thread pop up and I couldn't resist. Good photography Joe, I'm not often impressed, (even with my own). You know Joe instead of having the DealerRefresh logo and "Moderator" under your name, maybe they should put the DealerRefresh logo and "Instigator". You're a little rough with people sometimes but I always am sure to read your posts and there hasn't been one that I didn't enjoy!
I too used to kill it on eBay but a few bad months and the buzz wears off. I think there is still a lot of potential there but you have to be dedicated like Jeff and Shereef mentioned.
Here's my take/listing procedure on eBay:
First of all Texas Direst is quite the anomoly. They have a lot of cars, list a lot of cars and are near several huge metropolitan areas. All this coupled with what I am sure is a fine tuned phone presentation etc and the success makes sense.
First off, good feedback is essential, so is registering as a dealer w/ eBay. You'll be assigned a rep that you need to make good friends with, very good friends with!
What vehicle to list? Those convertible BMW's and Classics are probably good choices but the BMW dealer up the street is listing convertibles all of the time, it's not as special to everyone else as it might be to you. The fact of the matter is a good eBay car is one that has a high likely-hood of selling on eBay. Any car could be a good ebay car. Check every used vehicle in your inventory against eBay's "Completed Listings". This is a feature that I don't think many people take advantage of. Just like you might check Manheim to see what a specific vehicle is selling for there you can check eBays "Completed Listings" and 1. See what a vehicle sold for, or 2. See how high the bid was at auction end. See if your vehicle is in the ballpark. There are intricacies that I won't get into, (i.e. auctions that end early revert back to initial price etc). You're looking for vehicles, (remember to watch the trim packages LT, LS, GT) that are either selling for or the bidding is getting up to the amount that you need to get out of your vehicle. You may not have any in inventory. Don't waste your time and money listing something anyway. Wait until something comes up. Checking the "Completed Listings" takes some of the crap shoot out of it.
Now that you've found a car selling on eBay in the range that your vehicle has to sell for, spend the extra $10 and 10 minutes it takes to use and set up a listing template that will allow you to receive the bidders contact info. You will have access to every single bidders contact info. LEADS! eBay offers a sufficient template through their dealer center but third parties offer more features.
Listing procedure! This is where some people disagree with me. I am whole-heartedly against "Buy It Now" options. My opinion is that we need to look at eBay as a lead generating source rather than another AT or Cars.com. So you'll want to gear your auctions toward generating as many leads as possible. Buy It Now Options actually discourage bids, bids=leads! I use a reserve price with an extremely low starting bid, $1000 or less. Yes you will get some "bottom feeders" that will bid $1100 on a $20k car but that's OK they are the ones that bring the current bid up to where you want it. Who knows, they might be worth a phone call.
The next thing used to be more important than it is now because eBay has corrected some of this but always use the subtitle line, (It's an extra $.75), for search engine optimization for eBay searches. A Lexus 430 LS may not show up under a search for a Lexus 430LS. Chevrolet and Chevy, BMW 525i and BMW 525 i etc. eBay has corrected some of this but it doesn't hurt. If you still have room on the subtitle line after seo, fill the space with hot buttons, Low Miles, Navigation, Local Trade. Your listing template will give you a standard factory make and model to play against. Think of every way a person might search for that vehicle and try to list it on the subtitle line.
Quality photography is a must, (hint if your camera fits in the breast pocket of your shirt, it's probably not good enough, or if your camera doubles as your phone It's probably not good enough.) 20-25 photos is sufficient.
Always start your listings on a fri and pay the extra $10 for a 10-day listing as opposed to the standard 7 day. Starting a 10-day listing on Fri will give you two full weekends and two Mondays of auction time as opposed to one of each. eBay gets the most hits over the weekend and Mons are a strong 2nd. It's worth the extra $10 to get the extra exposure. Plan your auctions to stop at convenient times for your market. Between 4:30 and 6pm is a bad time. People are getting off of work etc. Late evening is the best 7-9pm.
There are some other details that I won't get into i.e. I use a three call follow up process. The first call is right after they bid. I just introduce myself and leave my number with instructions to call me, ice breaker. By the 3rd call we are on a first name basis.
Last thing, Never ever reveal your reserve price. You will get inundated with requests to know what your reserve price is. Do Not give it out. This will ruin your auction. My canned response, "It's company policy that we never reveal our reserve price to anyone let me explain why. Let's say you are willing to bid $45k on one of our vehicles. When I tell you our reserve price is $50k you'll be discouraged from bidding your $45k. This takes a Forty-Five Thousand dollar bid away from our auction and could mean the difference between us selling the car and not selling the car. In addition to that it costs a little more to have a reserve auction rather than a Buy It Now price auction. It wouldn't make any sense for us to pay the extra money and then tell everyone what our reserve price is anyway............

I'm not saying that other methods don't work. This is just the formula that I have had a tremendous amount of success with.

We use ebay very effectively. The majority of our inventory is listed and it accounts for a significant amount of our business.

When I started here we were running 7-day auctions with no Buy it Now option. We found running auctions generated a ton of emails and phone calls, but to call them leads requires a very loose definition of what a lead is. Our sales staff were working leads where people would end up offering 25% under MMR.

To improve lead quality I did a couple of things:

1.) Drastically improved our eBay listings. I bumped the number of photos from 25 to 40+ for each car. I paste a CarFax in every single listing as well as a build sheet showing warranty dates and options on the majority of our inventory. This gives the buyer a greater sense of ownership before they pick up the phone and call us. Plus it builds a greater value in the car.

2.) I then added a Buy-it-Now price to our auctions. It reduced the number of bottom feeders and has not seemed to alienate real buyers. The 'BIN' listing requires constant review of pricing to make sure we are on the money 100% of the time.

3.) Last year we switched from 7-day auctions with Buy-it-Now listings to 45-day Buy it Now (with best offer option). The general consensus from our sales staff is that lead quality has skyrocketed. We found we started to pick up customers who surf eBay because of available inventory but are not necessarily 'eBayers.' These customers do not want to sit there and bid. They fall into the ether of buying a car and like the ability to ride the high, call and buy.

I was never convinced as to why a 7- or 10-day auction would be successful if the average customer pulls the trigger in a much shorter time frame after initially contacting a dealer. I know I personally do not have the patience to sit there and bid on a car.

I should alsao mention the 45-day listings have dropped our eBay costs by about 40% per month. We ended up keeping the budget line the same for this year and listing twice as many cars.