• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Website Vendor Pricing Gone Wild

Sharko

Hat Trick
Jun 25, 2012
First Name
Marko
We have two 2013 Toyota SE V6 Camrys; both listed at their MSRP of over 30k. The problem is:

The website has the 2 Camrys listed; only it has one listed at $20,000 to $29,999 (1) at the other listed at "No Price Available" (1).

What I mean by "...the website...," I'm referring to the part of the website that the vendor controls (usually via the search widget or down the left or right side of inventory pages - in other words, not a part that we control.)

This problem repeats itself throughout the site AND the search widget is effed up, too. Tons of vehicles are listed as "No Price Available" or listed wrongly. It's maddening.

March 19th, I opened this ticket. Today, I talked with tech. support and was told...

...we can't fix this.

My question is: Who says that anymore?

The best way to get things fixed is to call a vendor out. Mention them by name, provide supporting documentation and watch your issue get resolved. I've seen it happen many times before on DR. Nobody builds the perfect solution. When it comes to software there is always going to be a glitch here or there. The good ones will work with you to fix the issue, the bad ones will not.

I always like seeing how a vendor responds to complaints and then takes action. I would bet the CEO would not say "we can't fix this."

Good Luck!

Love your subject line!

Yago - nah, nothing of what I presented is a result of me not knowing what he meant. My post was brief b/c I couldn't really write about ALL the details, but this is squarely a vendor-side issue, I've isolated that - and so have they, incidently.

Sam,

This may not be the case BUT some of this rebates/incentive pricing/etc comes from a 3rd party company that the vendor uses and that is what that level 1 support person may have meant.

Jerry, I'm on the fence about naming names, and you make some great points. Putting names on things ALWAYS makes a difference. What I'm actually going to do (OK, "probably" going to do) is make videos about my issues and create a YouTube channel to help other dealers' ISMs (or whoever). It'll also be a way for anybody at the vendor to see what's currently going on.

I know ten other people in my role who would drop the issue here because of the "explanation" that the tech support guy was giving; and I believe many tech. vendors know that they can use this tactic with most dealerships. I have a background in tech. AND bs, so... ha. Thanks for you words; you're always helpful.